B5 S4 front brakes, now fitted (how to aswell)

scott b

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
first of, the size difference between the discs

23052010052.jpg

jack the car up and remove the wheels

get someone to press the brake pedel. whilst you slacken/remove of the T30 headed bolt if its there, if it rounds the head off, use a drill and drill the head off

youll then need to disconnect/unplug the wear limit sensor and pull the wire out of the holder next to the plug
clamp up the flexi hose that goes to the caliper (molegrips and cardboard ;) )

23052010054.jpg

next, remove the little black caps on the back of the calliper, to reveal 2 7mm allen key headed bolts
undo and remove these bolts

23052010055.jpg

with the caliper and pads out of the way, remove the calliper mounting bracket, 2 21mm bolts, i had to use a breaker bar to get the ******* to move.

23052010058.jpg

now its time to mount the S4 brakes, first mount the caliper onto the hub, but only with the top bolt, put the disc onto the hub, by moving the caliper upwards, once the disc is in place put the bottom bolt in and tighten, pic doesnt show disc in place

23052010059.jpg

now remove the bleed nipple fully out of the caliper, now fasten up the outer part of the caliper 2 M12 spline headed bolts, only put these in losely, insert all 4 pads and making sure the pads are sitting correctly, tighten up the M12 bolts, making sure the outer part of the caliper is located in the slide type thing correctly.

23052010060.jpg

reconet the brake pipes and sensor wiring etc, refit the bleed nipple, now remove the clamp of the brake pipe and open the bleed nipple, once fluid starts coming out, lock it up, now youll need to bleed it to get the rest of the air out.

23052010063.jpg

now this is where i ran in to a problem, when putting the wheels back onto the car they hit the calliper!!!!

i decided that i would take a grinder to the calliper to make enough clearance for the spokes that where hitting it, as im not a fan of spacers, but insted of grinding it, a 3 - 5mm spacer would give you enough clearnce.

i dont understand why the spokes where catching as there B5 S4 brakes and RS4 wheels.

but after a while with a grider, job done

23052010064.jpg

feel so much better all ready

for me yes, but i think thats because my last car (modded almera with gtir engine) i fitted 310mm front brakes to it, then going back to smaller brakes again i did notice it