1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B5 S4 Engine into B6

AlexGSi2000 Feb 25, 2013

1. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Whilst working on my car over the weekend, I wondered if the B5 S4 engine would fit into the B6 chasis?

I currently have the 2.5TDi engine - I was going to fit a hybrid turbo & different injectors to increase the power, but since B5 S4 engines are quite readily available now I have begun thinking about swapping the engine over.

Would the newer ECU like the B5 S4 engine with a map change, or would I need to change it?

I have spotted a few on ebay - some without turbos and ancillaries and some that come complete, ranging from £400 - 1500.

2. gavsman

gavsman Member

3. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

There's a lot more than it meets the eye. Fuel tank, wiring loom, ECU, dash, cv joints and much, much more will need swapping or modifying in order to fit- much easier to start with a 1.8T quattro as the tank and fuel lines are similar ! The b6 came with a 3.0 quattro so technically the 2.7TT should drop in ! I would stick with the 2.5 tdi if i was you, much easier to return decent fuel economy and 250+ Bhp with just basic mods ! Ryan at darkside mapped a AFB 150Bhp fitted with a GT2559v turbo (off the renault VeilSatis 3.0dCI) and Bosio race 683 nozzles. He mentioned that it shifted well - you don't get this sort of comments from someone that does run a fully tweaked 350Bhp jetta tdi unless he's impressed with it !

My new hybrid is on the way, it boasts a GTB2260VK CHRA inside a normal gt20 housing, i will fit it in my allroad fitted with Bosio PP683 injector nozzles...will post with results !

4. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Thanks for the link gavsman - an interesting read!

Chris - I can see your point, but cant help thinking that I have sunk £2k+ into this 2.5TDi engine in the past year on maintenance / repairs alone! (Cams, injector, alternator.etc)
    Although they are reliable engines when going properly I cant help thinking that If I had purchased a 1.8T and spent the same kind of money I would be running close to 300bhp now.

Its either a case of do something drastic now, or run the 2.5 for as long as I can.

5. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

It's not the engine's fault that the previous owner was a cheapskate and only serviced the car when the light told him to do ! Also the 1.8T would have needed a full engine rebuild due to sludge issues + there's no way you would get 300Bhp with 2k on a 1.8T ! Clutch barely can cope with 200-250Bhp + the ko3 would need hybridising + bigger injectors + bigger fuel pump + a damn good tune ! I have a b5 1.8T quattro sport, mapped to 225-230 Bhp, a ko4-15 turbo and a v6 will run circles round it ! The 1.8T needs loads of torque to get the b6 barge moving, even the 2.5 tdi with over 400Nm after a remap strugles with it ! Stroking the 1.8 is a different kettle of fish...