B5 perches or not?!

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Guys,

I have my front springs to change seeing as I fitted my pro kit rears over new year due to a spring snapping.
Question is, do I fit B5 perches or not?!

I think the Eibach pro-kit sits nicely as is. lol. Until I see one with B5 perches on.

My main concerns are;

1) There is a big speed bump at work and my lowered Saab 900 Turbo scraped over every time, I don't want to scrape underside on my Audi. Although the rear end does go over fine in the Audi but it was the front that got caught on the Saab.

2) I tow a caravan. I know this focuses more on the rear rather than the front but if I need to I can use spring assistors whilst towing on the rears.

I will be looking at replacing the front arms at some point in this coming year too.

Help???!!!!?!?! lol

Depends. My car is on standard sport shocks and springs and B5 perches and this is how it sits.

Just popted this pic in another thread!

Since fitting the lowered AP shocks & springs all round from DPM I have to tip toe over the dreaded speed bumps! Loving the crisp handling but I think if I fitted b5 perches I'd leave bits of the front end everywhere!!

Reactions: S4_dan and DieselJake
Mine's on standard S4 suspension but the B5 perches were put on when I had an 034 Motorsport control arm kit fitted. Speed bumps and dips in the road have to be taken at a crawl but it generally doesn't scrape if I take them slowly.

There was a car park exit I couldn't actually exit the other week but luckily there was another (exit).

s4_b5_perches.jpg

I fitted B5 perches yesterday when I changed my shocks,i fitted standard sport shocks, I'll post a pic up tomorrow..

I have B5 perches on my sport setup and works very well. Got pics in my thread

Hmmm, Think I will leave the perches off for now then and see how I get on with the bumps and dips (We have a few around here in the Howardian Hills) Plus there is a good bit of road coming into my village where I often get the car airborne so standard B6 perches might be my saving grace there!

Thank you for everyones input. If I feel I can go lower, then when I come to doing my control arms, I'll slip the B5 perches on then.

Cheers.

Dan

Hmmm, Think I will leave the perches off for now then and see how I get on with the bumps and dips (We have a few around here in the Howardian Hills) Plus there is a good bit of road coming into my village where I often get the car airborne so standard B6 perches might be my saving grace there!

Thank you for everyones input. If I feel I can go lower, then when I come to doing my control arms, I'll slip the B5 perches on then.

Cheers.

Dan
Look at all B6s without them. They all sit high on the front, and if I remember rightly the Eiabach kit comes with fixed spring perches on the strut.

I'm with @BakPak on this (in almost every sense as I have the same springs and dampers haha) mine had the undertray split in half due to a very low peg on my driveway and makes a huge bang from just going down kerbs, also lost the front lower half of my bumper recently just from parking over a kerb. I'd try a Cupra R splitter just to see if the car is fesable being a couple more mm down at the front. Probably sounds a bit of a grandad response but I'm just speaking from experience.

Reactions: S4_dan and BakPak
I fitted a set of h&r springs front and back the other week and it lowered my car 50mm I also bought a set of b5 perches from Tps for £48 but just with the springs my car catches going up my drive so the b5 perches are a no go for me

Reactions: S4_dan
Standard sport suspension with b5 perches up front. I do get abit if rubbing on big bumps with 4ppl and a boot full but that's more to do with the 19's and 235 tyres. Speed bumps have never been an issue and not ground out anywhere

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420661366983681

Reactions: Lizard821000
I like the stance on standard sport shocks and B5 perches but do worry my splitter will become a thing of the past.

This is H&R 35mm with B5 perches on standard sport shocks.

Running 225/40/18 on an 8.5J alloy

Running 235/40/18 on an 8J alloy

Reactions: Icarus83 and ruffrida
S4 Dan, have you towed your caravan with the eibach pro kit yet? I have recently upgraded my 450kg trailer tent to a small 835kg caravan. On my first tow of it my aged rear springs (or at least one) has gave up the ghost! So I'm thinking of fitting the pro kit? If not I'm going to stick to standard springs!

Yeah and I had no problems at all. My rear springs were shot and it sat lower before with the caravan on than it does not with the lowered Eibach springs on! Plus the journey is much smoother, less bouncier now too. All good, so go ahead and do it. :hubbahubba:

Reactions: barkclark
Yeah and I had no problems at all. My rear springs were shot and it sat lower before with the caravan on than it does not with the lowered Eibach springs on! Plus the journey is much smoother, less bouncier now too. All good, so go ahead and do it. :hubbahubba:
Sounds good to me man! I'll go for that then! Cheers

Had mine done last month. Should have measure distance from the floor before and after but didn't notice much of a difference visually. Think it looks a bit better though.

Also it's prob in my head but since it's been they've been fitted I'm finding at motorway speed the car doesn't feel quite as sure footed as it was and I find myself continually making tiny steering wheel movements to try and keep it in a dead straight line.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Mine is fine for driving in a straight line. Have you had a 4 wheel alignment done after having the new springs fitted? This should be done after any suspension work is carried out ideally.

Dan, I didnt have the springs changed. I just had the B5 perches installed with my existing stock OE S4 suspension set up. I was informed by the installer the geometry wouldn't be affected by just having the B5 perches fitted. Would you think otherwise then?
Thanks

I would still advise having the alignment done. The strut maybe not be exactly 100% in same place as before removal. Any adjustment on the strut may cause the alignment to be slightly out. Worth having it checked. A decent garage shouldn't charge much at all, if any, if the geometry is already spot on.

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead.

I'm looking at getting h & r 45mm springs for my b7 avant Quattro, and also wanted to get b5 perches for the front,

I have s line sports suspension on the car at the moment but the front sits as high as a kite, and when going out with a tape measure my idea works in theory, but now seeing the above pics I'm a bit concerned that in practice this will be to low.

What are your thought?

they are perfect for oem suspension to get rid of the high front look. I fitted them to my S4 and don't regret it for a second.

look at pics of cars with the springs you want to fit, if they don't sit high at the front then don't fit them would be my advice.

obviously "too low" differs for everyone so hard to call really.