1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b5 lowering springs.b5

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by hewy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. hewy

hewy New Member

[Jun 22, 2012]
    Hi, ihave a standard 99 plate 1.9 tdi se b5 it is de badged with 18" RS4s , I want to lower it by 40mm but with funds tight was wondering if I could put the lowering springs on the standard shocks, it sits like a monster truck at the minute ( can get my fist between tyre and arch ), heard people say they work with no probs and others say shocks can bottom out , doesn't get driven hard round corners ( just fast in a straight line) , anyone with any knowledge or experience of doing this would be great to get some sound advice , like I said funds tight and don't want rock hard ride of cheap coilovers as have two sprogs in the back a lot of the time.. thanks guys , I'm sure u get bored of being asked this question . would 40 mm be noticable. ??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. hewy

hewy New Member

[Jun 25, 2012]
    Anyone. ????
  4. Mackers

Mackers Member

[Jun 26, 2012]
    i've dropped my 5.5 2.5tdi avant 30mm on 18" RS4's (look for me add in parts for sale to see who it sits) with NO problems. :D
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 26, 2012]
    You'll get away with it for a while.

The stiffer springs mean the shocks have to work harder, and given they're 13 years old and likely somewhat past it anyway, they're likely to die in the near future anyway, if they havent already.

You shouldnt bottom out with a 40mm drop, even full lowering kits on 40mm springs will come with stock length dampers.
  6. hewy

hewy New Member

[Jun 26, 2012]
    Thanks 4 that Aragorn , will get some and can always get shocks after ( will all shocks fit all springs if for the same vehicle ?? ). Also Mackers , did u say the silver avant with rs4 s on had been dropped 30mm , is it already lower as standard or was it se height , ie normal height not s line height if that makes sense, , looks well low for 30 mm. : ). Thanks guys. ..
  7. Mackers

Mackers Member

[Jun 27, 2012]
    mine was on sports suspension ( i think about 10-15mm lower than STD..... i'm sure someone will confirm)
  8. hewy

hewy New Member

[Jun 27, 2012]
    Thought so. : ). Does any way know if I would have to change anything else like bump stops or anything else if just putting springs on , or would I be nest putting cheap set of coilovers and springs on , , also what's the difference between COILOVERS AND SHOCKS. , thanks again guys .
  9. Mackers

Mackers Member

[Jul 8, 2012]
    i did my bumpstops as it was all apart anyways, altho the old ones looked and felt ok and not too old really, the shocks looked kinda new too and dry, i'm still to experiance my car bottom out as yet, even with the 2.5 in the front and about 90KG of wood, wires and "install" in the boot.