1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B5 DIS disply fault?

norad97 May 6, 2014

1. norad97

norad97 Member

Hi, my 1997 B5 1.8T sport has a problem with the DIS display, it just shows 3 lines only.

Up to now the display has worked perfectly, but I parked the car for two weeks over Easter, came back and started
    car, now only shows 3 lines but no information.
    I know these can cause problems but its worked perfect for 169,000 miles.

2. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Time for a new display mate. Mine's been fun for 170k. Half expecting it to screw up now. LoL

3. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

Mine is dead, has been since I bought the car. I suppose at 15yr old it's not done too bad! I need to replace mine, but it's a Oaks out job and you can't drive it with no clocks, so I need to do it sometime when I don't need the car for a while in case it all goes wrong. :)

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

You've not just turned it off have you?

Press the button under the stalk and see if it comes back on?

5. norad97

norad97 Member

Hi, thanks but I did turn it off and on, but still only shows 3 lines, but I was just wondering if the back light bulb has failed?
    when I do the system test (push in the button on the clock) the display changes and the middle line disapears as if its testing.
    then goes back.

6. norad97

norad97 Member

Hi,
    Took the dash out today and found a ribbon cable has come off, its at the bottom of the dash and is its must be a part of the DIS
    system, it fits on the main board,there is connecting strip that mates to the ribbon, but I have no idea how its fixed on as its not soldered
    or has no connector, it might be glued, but what with???