B5 Basics (apologies - not in FAQ's and no search)

J1MMY

Reaction score
Hello all, apologies if the questions seem odd but I do have a rationale.

Just read the V8 into B5 1.8t thread (sorry to hear of so many issues, the reason I am here is because of being had over for a lot of money on another project) and what I'm curious to know is -

Will a 1.8t (AEB) bolt on to a 2.6 or 2.8 V6 quattro gearbox?

Are 1.8t quattro and V6 quattro gearboxes dimensionally the same? (It would be fair to assume the ratios are different)

Is there any electronic management on a B5 quattro?

If so, is it run on a sep. ecu to the engine?

In a nutshell (if anyone doesn't read the classic Audi section) I have a spec'd AEB and want something to put it in. Prefered a B3 but am getting so many conflicting arguments about suitability with bellhousing that, with the price of B5's being so reasonable, I'm considering going that way instead.

Any info appreciated. I'm not shy with getting on and doing things but buying the wrong car to start with is a mistake I'd rather avoid.:no:

Hi.

the 1.8T and V6/V8 have different bellhousing bolt patterns, however all recent Audi boxes (from the B4 80 onwards afaik) have bolt bolt patterns on them, so a 1.8T will bolt to a V6 box and viceversa.

The quattro system is entirely mechanical, bar the EDL component, which is part of the ABS system and completely independant of the rest of the electronics

So yes, it should drop streight in!

That is interesting and certainly opens up the field in terms of finding a base car. A4 V6 quattro's seem to go for pennies!:hubbahubba: So is it also the case that a V6 Q 'box and a 1.8t Q box are a straight swap if required? (thinking - get running first, play with gearing after).

Last edited: