B5 1.9tdi

Palmer

Reaction score
Might be a daft question but i'm looking at buying a 1.9tdi 1999 a4 will it be a pd? the owner says its a 130bhp model but i wasn't aware they did a 130 1.9tdi in 1999. its a SE if thats helps. any help appreciated
:blush:

that will be a 115bhp, no 130bhp in the B5, also check the engine code as it could be a 110 and not a PD.:thumbsup:

Also, the power output of the engine (in kW) is printed on a sticker in the spare wheel well and in at the front of the service record.

ah man thought so :/ what are those engines like then? any good? re-mappable? decent mpg

Ah do you mean if it's 115 it will be a pd and if it's a 110 then it's not pd?

ah rite any chance you know what the kw power will be if its a 115bhp? cheers in advance

85Kw = 115PS
81kw = 110PS

I suspect a '99 will be a 110. The PD engines were only used late-on, '00-'01 type range.

Depends what you mean by good. VAG used them for years and years. They are pretty reliable, and arguably quieter than the pd engines. Cheaper to fix. But not as powerful and worse emissions.

Okay so i'm guessing tax will cost a little more. Do you have any idea of potential for re-maps? I would like at least 130bhp if possible. I love the b5 shape and need a fairly reliable and economical car (i currently get 26mpg average) so i thought i'll kill 2 birds with one stone but i'm a it dubious about it being a non pd (if it so turns out to be)

non pd b5's will give you that sort of power with an off the shelf re-map easily. the early AFN engines will see around 150 bhp with just the map and still return 50+ mpg. Add a larger set of nozzles and see a bit more (smoke too!), anything more than that requires thoughts on FMIC's and clutch and flywheel choices.

On that note the early engines have a smf which in thery would be cheaper to fit a nice heavy duty clutch to rather than retro-fitting from the dmf on the later cars.

If it's your first tdi i'd recommend you start with the basics and ensure the car is running right before messing about with tuning.
Common culprits are:
MAF (not always the first thing to change though) circa £80
N75 and n18 turbo actuating valves £85
vacuum pipes perishing £5 and a few hours
gunking up the inlet manifold £5 for a gallon of paraffin and a few hours cleaning out

All of the above will strangle power and in most cases all will throw the 00575 charge pressure difference in vagcom which is a generic code and a pita to solve if you are neew to diesels.

The VE engines (AFN or AHU) are the most reliable VAG engines out there and they will go to intergalactic mileage if serviced properly. They are also much stronger than the pd lumps and tune easily with just bolt-on mods. Also, the CO2 emissions are better compared to the pd lumps but they have fixed rate tax beeing pre 2001. In my honest opinion i would go with a VE engine any time- less things to go wrong ! Stick a set of Transporter T4 2.5 tdi injectors and a good remap and you will see 150Bhp easily. Throw a bigger turbo,11/12mm pump or pump head and a front mounted intercooler and you'll go over 200Bhp while it feels better than the pd 130 at 200Bhp ! If you're interested i have a nice V reg (2000) audi a4 avant going for not much. Its vulcan black with 135k on the clock, good clutch, no knocks or ratles, alloy wheels, starts on the button and gets 50+ Mpg in town and 70 Mpg on a motorway run. It will also have 1 year MOT and maybe 6 months tax on... Pm me for details or if you need any photos. Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.

For some reason the 90bhp tdi I had felt loads faster than the 110 modern diesels I've been in. Good engines.

I had some KERMATDI nozzles fitted to mine as well that gave the best of all worlds - more power, torque and economy! I reckon the person that bought it must have been confused as to why their car was so good - the nozzles were fitted to the original injectors so even if they checked the injectors they would look standard unless you really knew what you were looking for.

The VE engines (AFN or AHU) are the most reliable VAG engines out there and they will go to intergalactic mileage if serviced properly. They are also much stronger than the pd lumps and tune easily with just bolt-on mods. Also, the CO2 emissions are better compared to the pd lumps but they have fixed rate tax beeing pre 2001. In my honest opinion i would go with a VE engine any time- less things to go wrong ! Stick a set of Transporter T4 2.5 tdi injectors and a good remap and you will see 150Bhp easily. Throw a bigger turbo,11/12mm pump or pump head and a front mounted intercooler and you'll go over 200Bhp while it feels better than the pd 130 at 200Bhp ! If you're interested i have a nice V reg (2000) audi a4 avant going for not much. Its vulcan black with 135k on the clock, good clutch, no knocks or ratles, alloy wheels, starts on the button and gets 50+ Mpg in town and 70 Mpg on a motorway run. It will also have 1 year MOT and maybe 6 months tax on... Pm me for details or if you need any photos. Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.

If it wasn't an avant i would have been extremely interested. But i may still be tempted if you send me some pictures. Thanks

haha I do like the avants and probably be more practical as I move car bits about all the time. But i think i would prefer the saloon as i'm only 20 and avants are a bit granddad hahaha

avants are grandad ?

DSCF1243.jpg