b5 1.8TQ possible bhp

chrisa4quat

Reaction score
To everyone and anyone.
I am just wondering how much power people have got out there 1.8TQ's with the usual exhaust, filter, de cat, fmic and new turbo, all i need is fmic and turbo, and am wondering what sort of 0-60 i could be looking at and bhp figures etc. Where can i get this trubo, should i go for new turbo or the k04 upgrade.
Hope to hear from ya'll soon
From Man in need of assistance, Thanks.

Although not the answer your looking for, it would not be too long before th ecost becomes prohibitive. You could proably buy an S4 for the same as the cost of your upgrades.

And of course that gives you far more options, with a relatively cheap upgrade path to 350 bhp or so.

i have looked into s4's but money prohibits this, i still owe on my a4, and have spent money on kits/wheels i.c.e etc and just generally cant be ***** to look, i only have fmic and turbo and i'm finished. I am not a speed freak or anything either, just want a little more out of it, hopefully about 250-260 bhp

well on a 1.8T engine, with the right parts there has been 517bhp, realistically for reliability i'd say 350 -450 bhp, but it costs.

my engine (without turbo, ecu software, injectors etc) has cost £3500 and is probably good for around 400bhp, maybe a bit more.

now factor in injectors, fuel pump, regulator, mapping = £1000
bigger turbo £1000- £2000

stronger clutch and fly wheel = £1000

bigger brakes £1000 - £2000

starting to see a picture?

250-270 bhp should be achievable for about £2000 i'd say if do you work yourself.

macca said:
250-270 bhp should be achievable for about £2000 i'd say if do you work yourself.

How would you get this extra horse power?
I have got a 3" custom straight through exhaust, an MTM Chip and an computer Boost controler and turbo timer. I am after a bit more preformace and im just trying to figure out weather I should get a turbo ( I have heard the s3 ones bolt straight on) and a intercooler. Or is there a more effective way to get some extra power from my car?

what car do you have?

bigger turbo required for 270bhp+ for sure, garrett gt2871 or 3071 and manifold.

K04 may get 260bhp not sure, you may have this already depending what car you have.

bigger injectors required, 5 bar fuel pressure regulator, custom map

also depending what engine you have you may need different pistons and forged rods.

I have got a 1996 A4 1.8T quattro. I would really like to get over 260hp but I use this car as a daily driver so I wont want it to explode the motor has already done 120,000kms or 75,000 miles.
I am trying to get as much done to my car in as short a space as possible while I still have my old car for transport. I have brought some bilstien suspension and im getting it fitted at the same time as my boost controler is installed along with a new cam belt and all the fluids are getting replaced (I brought the car 4 days ago). Thats all happening next week and tomorrow I am getting some light tints for it and an alarm.
Thanks for the advice Macca.

I am only looking for about 250bhp, nothin more as i use the car daily. So many different options i'm stuck. Santa didn't bring me my new turbo either so back to the drawing board