B Pillar Cover Help....

stuartm

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi There.

I was wondering if someone that has removed these could help,

i have looked in the searches but cant find what im looking for

When reattaching the covers do u need to take off the interior b pillar to get at the rivets?

i have an A3 3 door.

any information would be much appreciated.

Hi Stuart, I swapped the matte black B pillars on my S3 over to the MY11 gloss black ones and I didn't need to remove any parts other tha the external B pillars themselves. I drilled the existing rivets out and held the door seals out of the way of the drill using an old credit card. When refitting, I used the credit card again to hold the door seals out of the way of the rivet gun. The re-fitting was the easy part, ..it was the drilling out of the rivets that was a real PITA. Hope this helps, Buddy. If you need any more info, PM me. :wub: xx

Reactions: Ash187, stuartm and Sandra
Hi Stuart, I swapped the matte black B pillars on my S3 over to the MY11 gloss black ones and I didn't need to remove any parts other tha the external B pillars themselves. I drilled the existing rivets out and held the door seals out of the way of the drill using an old credit card. When refitting, I used the credit card again to hold the door seals out of the way of the rivet gun. The re-fitting was the easy part, ..it was the drilling out of the rivets that was a real PITA. Hope this helps, Buddy. If you need any more info, PM me. :wub: xx

Wow, Paullie is in da house. Good to see you back girl. No more going awol, we have all missed you so. :) xx

Where did you get the MY11 trims and how much where they? Thanks

thank you very much Paullie, I just didn't want to start taking them off if I couldn't get them back on lol
as they have peeled and starting to go white now :-( just seems to ruin the look.

What size rivets did you use for refitting?

Again thanks for you info, if I get stuck ill drop you a message :)

Where did you get the MY11 trims and how much where they? Thanks

Hi Aidy, they cost £34.46 each inclusive of VAT (though that was in 2011 when I bought mine) and the part numbers are -
8P3 853 289 D Y9B
8P3 853 290 D Y9B

As L1ARR says, drop Dave at Stoke Audi a PM, that's where I got mine from and he will give you by far the best deal on them. Hope this helps. Paula :wub: xx

thank you very much Paullie, I just didn't want to start taking them off if I couldn't get them back on lol
as they have peeled and starting to go white now :-( just seems to ruin the look.

What size rivets did you use for refitting?

Again thanks for you info, if I get stuck ill drop you a message :)

No worries Dude. Now I can't remember what size they were, sorry :unsure: . I know the part number for the Audi ones which I used are as follows AN 016 185 7 and you obvisouly need 6 of them. They are pennies.

Update on the price of these, have a look at this thread I started a couple of years ago. The last post from Dave quoting price is £40.37 including VAT and rivets, lol.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/parts-...o-black-outer-b-pillar-covers-s3-8p3-3dr.html

Paula :wub: xx

Woaaaaah! Paulie is back.... Special Dance! :)

No worries Dude. Now I can't remember what size they were, sorry :unsure: . I know the part number for the Audi ones which I used are as follows AN 016 185 7 and you obvisouly need 6 of them. They are pennies.

Update on the price of these, have a look at this thread I started a couple of years ago. The last post from Dave quoting price is £40.37 including VAT and rivets, lol.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/parts-...o-black-outer-b-pillar-covers-s3-8p3-3dr.html

Paula :wub: xx

That's brilliant I will get the rivet gun from eBay and that could be my next weekends job, as long as this weather holds up.
Im glad you don't have to do the interior pillars as that would be a nightmare I think. :)
I'm sure the prices will have increased slightly since then hehe

now I can't wait to get it done, now that I have an idea in what I'm doing :) just hope I use the right rivets don't want it to be slack lol :)
many thanks for all your info Paullie :)

Just done this on mine. I chose to keep the matt black look. Drilling the rivets is a bit of a pain. If you have a spare pair of hands that will help. Also, when you are putting the rivet on, try not to smack yourself in the face with the rivet gun when it snaps the rivet....................:slapped:

Just done this on mine. I chose to keep the matt black look. Drilling the rivets is a bit of a pain. If you have a spare pair of hands that will help. Also, when you are putting the rivet on, try not to smack yourself in the face with the rivet gun when it snaps the rivet....................:slapped:

thanks for the advice mate, ill watch out for that. Don't want a black eye lol, I'm going for the carbon wrap as I'm changing the front grille to carbon too.

Off topic have you by any chance lowered your car on coilovers, if so how did you get into the rear adjusters once fitted to the car
any advice would be much appreciated :)

Any pictures? I have no idea what youre talking about

This is the covers im talking about mate. the one between the door and rear side windows

941556 10152806243815541 252983812 n 394304 10152806243995541 1927862037 n

Any body tried having these wrapped, mine are starting to peel and I don't have a spare £90 knocking around right now

Any body tried having these wrapped, mine are starting to peel and I don't have a spare £90 knocking around right now

Yeah I have seen them wrapped in carbon on this site. I think the car I saw had the number plate area wrapped in carbon too.

Slightly off topic but does anybody know if there's anyway to do the small black triangles on the rear doors of a sportback to match these or is it a spray job? thanks.

i carbon wrapped my own pillars mate, wasn't the hardest job, but difficult to get those covers off tho. I can put pics up if you wanted.

i carbon wrapped my own pillars mate, wasn't the hardest job, but difficult to get those covers off tho. I can put pics up if you wanted.

Alright mate, don't suppose you can remember what size rivets you needed for the b pillars? Any help would be appreciated.

Paul.

Quick Question
will the B Pillar Fit S3 3 Door 2007 Pre Face lift ?
8P3 853 289 D Y9B
8P3 853 290 D Y9B

I did this a couple days ago, easy enough, drill rivets, unclip and slide old trim off. Slide new gloss black in place and rivet back on (with black rivets) :-D
Fitted to 3 door 2007 S3. I will get a pic up for you to see :)

Worth £90 if you ask me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 601
Worth £90 if you ask me!
Looks very smart mate. Just thought I'd add though that for the members that can't afford or justify spending the £90 there is a cheaper alternative and that is vinyl wrap. You can get enough to do both sides for less than £10 and it's very easy to do and took me about half an hour. I did mine the other day using 4d carbon fibre vinyl but not too keen on it now it's on the car so will be re-doing them gloss black in the next week or so. I'll post pics on this thread when done incase anybody else is interested in going down this route and want to see how it looks first.

Reactions: Dan-Jnr
I did this a couple days ago, easy enough, drill rivets, unclip and slide old trim off. Slide new gloss black in place and rivet back on (with black rivets) :-D
Fitted to 3 door 2007 S3. I will get a pic up for you to see :)
Hi mate, been looking through old posts on this topic as I'm trying this right now! I've drilled the rivets out but I can't get it off!!!! When you say unclip how did you do that without breaking them? Having a bit of trouble and would welcome the help

Hi mate, been looking through old posts on this topic as I'm trying this right now! I've drilled the rivets out but I can't get it off!!!! When you say unclip how did you do that without breaking them? Having a bit of trouble and would welcome the help

Once the rivets are drilled out you need to pull the pillar out from inside the door slightly (enough to clear the door seal) and then pull it towards the front of the car.

Wrap them yourself mate, easy enough to do and you can get enough wrap for both for about £5 off eBay.
Planning on doing that, I've got the vinyl wrap waiting! Just can't get them off, I've drilled out the rivets but I can't get them off. Does it take a good bit of pulling? Afraid of breaking them

To be fair one of mine was quite hard to remove, the other came off really easy. Now you've drilled the rivets can you move the b pillar out towards you? If so you need to the pull it towards the front of the car. The two clips that hold it in are more like hooks. They're on the side against the rear window (one at the top, one at the bottom) and push in towards the rear of the car hence having to pull the b pillar forward to remove.

To be fair one of mine was quite hard to remove, the other came off really easy. Now you've drilled the rivets can you move the b pillar out towards you? If so you need to the pull it towards the front of the car. The two clips that hold it in are more like hooks. They're on the side against the rear window (one at the top, one at the bottom) and push in towards the rear of the car hence having to pull the b pillar forward to remove.
I think I understand, so you've got to push towards the rear a little bit so the 'hooks' can get enough clearance to be able to pull them forward, towards the front, thus removing the pillar? Mate your a massive help so cheers

No don't push towards the rear, stand facing it and pull out towards you from where it curves inside the car, then when it clears the door seal enough pull it towards the front of the car. Might need to give it a little wiggle.

No don't push towards the rear, stand facing it and pull out towards you from where it curves inside the car, then when it clears the door seal enough pull it towards the front of the car. Might need to give it a little wiggle.
After a lot of pulling it finally came off! Got them sanded down and the vinyl on. On one of them the two clips bent out of shape so shape so it didn't go back in flush with the back window but a quick tinkering sorted that out. Really happy with how they turned out, I'll get a post up soon about it! Cheers for your help bud

After a lot of pulling it finally came off! Got them sanded down and the vinyl on. On one of them the two clips bent out of shape so shape so it didn't go back in flush with the back window but a quick tinkering sorted that out. Really happy with how they turned out, I'll get a post up soon about it! Cheers for your help bud
Hi OllieBB. Sorry to jump in on your post,but do you know how to remove the small triangle piece next to the b pillar on the sportback model.Both sides on my car starting to bubble under the paint.Does anyone else reading this know how? Once again sorry for hijacking your post:thumbs up:

Hi OllieBB. Sorry to jump in on your post,but do you know how to remove the small triangle piece next to the b pillar on the sportback model.Both sides on my car starting to bubble under the paint.Does anyone else reading this know how? Once again sorry for hijacking your post:thumbs up:
No worries man! Honestly don't have a clue. http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a3-sportback-removing-b-pillar-exterior-trim.225153/

Have a look at that, theres a guy on it gives a detailed guide for the sportback, hope it helps!