B***ER!!! BAD DAY TODAY!

Davsurfa

Reaction score
Whilst driving along the M6 on this very fine and sunny day I watched my temp gauge travel up from 60 to 90(it took 30 motorway miles to do this) then it carried on up to a grand total of 120 at which point the water light came on and it started buzzing!! Time, I figured, for a hard shoulder fag break. I gently opened the expansion tank to find the water boiling away to itself. Gutted that I had no eggs with me for a spot of light breakfast, I settled for a can of Relentless and another smoke. Once it had all calmed down I had a look in the expansion tank to find it was drier than a pair of grannys knickers
icon_sad.gif
I dropped 2 litres of water in the tank and drove VERY carefully back to RSD in Daventry. The good doctor of all things VAG, Danny, tested it and found that the head gasket had popped at the exhaust port(dunno which one, don't care much, all I know is it's fubar). Having left the A3 there, it's being pulled apart as we speak, the head is going for skimming and according to the VAG doc it should be back together and making noise again by tomorrow night :thumbsup: The downside is coming in the shape of a £420 whole in my pocket, but atleast my P&J will be all sweet again.

Guess it wasn't overcooling afterall. Still, on the plus side it was due an oil and filter change anyway.

Ahh nightmare mate.

Just about to spend some hard earned cash on mine now. 2K though!

Hope it's fighting fit soon.

G

Feel for you dave, least itll be back with you quite quick.

MR G what's costing you 2k?

Lol...the only thread you need look is the dark side.

2k spent on ARBs, Brakes, top mounts, fitting new diff, and exhaust.

Then i'll be looking at JBS turbo, wheels and shocks/springs. Need to save more for that though.

Sorry to Hijack OP!

G

I had the same thing (similar) thing, but I realised my fan was not coming on, while in traffic Monday afternoon in Richmond, but I guess I am partly to blame as I switched off the car twice in a non moving traffic, however it required 3 litters of water, and managed to cool it down by turning the heater on to the max take the hot air away from the engine, then heated again but, left the car off for an hour and things seems to be back to normal. I hope its not too serious.

It's all gone Pete Tong!! I was informed the reason the head gasket gave up was due to a crack in the head. The mad surgeon has said he can sort something out for me and I've put him on the doughnut list, he seems quite happy with that. So a donor has been sorted(R.I.P. to that Audi) and surgery starts again tomorrow.