1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awx 130 coolant leak

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by mrnice, Feb 25, 2013.

1. mrnice

mrnice Member

Hi folks, I've had a coolant leak for a few months now. It's emerging from drivers side, dripping down over starter motor
    onto the ground but I'm having trouble finding the source. It seems to leak about 1litre per 300 miles but if I'm parked
    facing down the drive (very very steep) it can leak the same amount out overnight.
    I've had the egr, boost pipes etc all off to try to find the source but very difficult to see.
    i first suspected the coolant hoses at rear of engine but the furthest up the block I can
    see is the base of the head at the gasket. Is it a likely place for hg to leak?, seems odd.
    Other possibilities could be a core plug or indeed those hoses at rear of engine but I can't see
    a plausible route for it from these to the base of the head, then down towards starter.
    any thoughts would be appreciated, I took a pic with a mirror under the bottom of the head,
    may be of help-

[​IMG]

Cheers,

mn
  2. mrnice

mrnice Member

I had another look with a mirror and there's 3 cooling hose joins that could be leaking so keeping an open mind.
    Going to pressure test the system in the near future to get to the bottom of this and will post results as leaks in this
    area seem common.
  3. towcestervag

towcestervag Member

its usually the plastic hose connector at the back of the cylinder head
    its usually best to change the whole part not just the seal as the housing distorts
  4. mrnice

mrnice Member

Thanks!, I'll keep this in mind
  5. mrnice

mrnice Member

Ok, so finally got some time to sort this out, armed with some G12, a few o ring seals, an air compressor and this home-brewed ghetto coolant pressure testing gizmo-
    [​IMG],
    With the system pressurised I found the leak turned out to be between the cylinder head and alloy coolant outlet (the one with the coolant temp sensor in it).
    [​IMG]
    Seal was shot. The seal between this outlet and the black plastic elbow behind it seemed ok but replaced it anyhow.
    Even with smallish hands access at the rear of the head was appalling
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While I had it apart I cleaned this **** out of the inlet manifold-
    [​IMG]
    So thats that,

cheers