1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVS Horror Story.

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by JohnC, Dec 2, 2004.

1. imported_oilman

imported_oilman Guest

I have a list of VW oils and their service intervals and approved viscosities that I'd like to post here but it appears attachments are not possible.

If anyone would like a copy, please email me at: sales@opieoils.co.uk and hopefully someone can host it here for all to see.

My view on this is that some of the drain periods are just too long and to be frank even the best synthetic oils (Audi approved) will break down if left too long. 10-12000 miles is plenty of wear for any oil regardless of all the claims that I read.

I recently asked Mr Alan Walker of Fuchs/Silkolene (Chief of the Technical Department) a question concerning the difference between VW 503.00 and 503.01 for the TT Owners Club and here was his frank and informative answer.

Bear in mind that Fuchs do Factory Fill for VAG to the tune of 10,000,000 litres per annum so they know their stuff!

Quote:

Service advice from VW Audi seems complex and, in some cases, contradictory.

My info indicates 503.00 for most modern petrol engines and 503.01 for certain high powered ( turbocharged ?) petrol engines.

Attached is the official digest of the VW specs from Mannheim together with my anglicised version done for the UK sales force.

You will see that 503.00 lines up with ACEA A1,B1 for maximum fuel economy in modern engines, not necessarily sports type vehicles.

503.01 calls up A3, B3, with more shear stability and higher HTHS capability, I would expect this to be specified for sports and/or turbocharged petrol engines.

The defining document is the service literature which goes out with the vehicles, Mr. VW is bound to support this whatever it says, expect to see different specs quoted in handbooks depending on vehicle age.

I wouldn't care to make a sweeping statement on this, there could well be hidden pitfalls.

Quick guide to VAG spec logic -- 500 up to 503 ( 504 coming soon ) are petrol engine specs; 505 and 506 ( 507 coming soon ) are diesel engine specs, there are a few exceptions but it's a pretty good guide.

The 01 version of any spec is always more durable than the 00 version, usually featuring better shear stability, higher HTHS, improved antiwear etc. and is generally intended for more severe duty. In general you can use a 01 where a 00 is specified, but don't expect to get the fuel consumption

Unquote:

The document referred to is the one I would like to post.

Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Cheers
    Simon
  2. VACINC

VACINC Member

the law has changed
    as long a they use genuine audi parts it is covered