**AVOID** Vanilla Visa Gift Card

Reaction score
Avoid the gift card like the plague!

I was given a £25 gift voucher by my sister last November for my birthday. In order to activate the card, she had to pay a further £2.95, so in all my present cost her £27.95.

The card has the Visa logo and on its website it states 'Vanilla Visa Gift Card is a prepaid gift card, welcomed anywhere Visa cards are accepted, including retail stores, online merchants and mail order.'

You would then think almost all stores would accept them, but none of my chosen stores would either touch it or their till wouldn't accept it. This included John Lewis, Tommy Hilfiger and Super Dry.

I got fed up, so asked my wife to try it to buy some stuff for herself in M&S. After calling the Manager and some jiggery pokery, he got it to work. The problem was, there was only £15 on the card.

I've called the company tonight and they are absolutely useless. All the keep saying is the small print indicates

'FeesThe following fees are applicable to your Card:Monthly Maintenance Fee (commences 7th month from date of purchase) £2.00...'

They couldn't tell me what activities are taking place to warrant the £2 per month, just that's what's in the small print.

So ultimately tough!

If you want to see other reviews, have a look here... https://www.consumeraffairs.com/credit_cards/vanilla-visa-gift-card.html

So if you want to give money as a gift, give them the cash, don't use this card account!.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nilz
Thanks for the heads up, good to get this sort of info out now people are starting to buy Xmas presents too.

Reactions: Sandra
Gift cards on the whole are a complete scam....

Wish people would stop buying them for me and I refuse to buy them for anyone else.

Reactions: Sandra
Yeah, definitely not worth it. I've posted on all sorts including Watchdog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk