1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avoid buying parts from TECHNICLUTCH

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ColganRaz, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ColganRaz

ColganRaz Member

[Mar 12, 2012]
    word of warning to anyone who is thinking of buying from these morons.

I bought a solid flywheel and 3 piece clutch for £220, which wasnt really a bad price

in a rush i ripped open the box, quickly checked that the items were there and took it straight to my mechanic...

the mechanic then informed me the flywheel had no thread on the bolt holes! he had to machine the flywheel before even fitting it lol!

then to top that off the clutch was absoloute s**te! the metal fork type pieces coming out the centre (i think where the clutch release bearing goes up against) was all bent and not straight, which has caused the car to be really stiff going into 1st gear, and grinds gears going into reverse(you have to push it REALLY hard across to stop it doing this)

upon reading other peoples complaints all over the internet, its safe to say i wont touch them with a bargepole everagain
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. ShaunS3

ShaunS3 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

[Mar 12, 2012]
    I had one of their uprated fast road clutches on my old car. Capable of handling up to 300bhp. Paid £80 for it and was absolutely spot on if I'm honest. Never went on me and it took a lot of stick.
  4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 12, 2012]
    I have seen one that was incorrectly drilled and the dowels wouldn't line up. Also the same kit was supplied to fit a 20VT and the flywheel was from a VR6. Cost the guy a trip home and back. A round trip of 250 miles and having to fit some used parts and cross his fingers
  5. ColganRaz

ColganRaz Member

[Mar 13, 2012]
    well, I have been told they machine their own parts on site for certain makes/models, and sell branded ones made by manufacturer e.g. valeo.

I have also heard rumours of them making their own pieces and shipping them in valeo etc boxes... all i have heard is bad things, except from you ShaunS3.
  6. akash_sky1

akash_sky1 Active Member

[Mar 13, 2012]
    I think their quality control is w@nk judging by many forum posts...some 100% happy people and some totally pee'd off customers with useless clutches.
  7. ColganRaz

ColganRaz Member

[Mar 14, 2012]
    When manufacturing items such as a clutch, the Q.C. should be 110% as i say. My car is tight into first and difficult to put into reverse without grinding gears. what about when i come to sell the car and i have got to explain the clutch is **** so theybdont think the gearbox has issues!

Its not asif its just as easy send the parts back. it means buying a second clutch and dropping the gearbox out and refitting all over again!
  8. shane1238

shane1238 New Member

[Dec 10, 2012]
    all about techniclutch there as been so many complaints about this
    company. and when i brought a clutch from them i can see why

there parts are of poor quality. you may save your self £200 if you buy

a clutch from them. but it will cost you £400 more in labour for a

garage to take it out and put a decent one in. i brought a clucth of

techniclutch paid £117 and then paid my garage £250 to put it in. then

it had to come out because it was vibrating and slipping like mad i

phone techniclutch they told me it will do because they put oil on the

clutch at the factory. he told me to run it in for 30 miles i ran it in

for 120 miles this is easy for me as i am a taxi driver. 120 miles

still no change

went back to my garage they order me a clutch for £370 they felt a bit

sorry for me and said they will only charge me £150 labour. £100
    cheaper

than before. now my car runs like a dream total cost £887 this would
    only have cost me £620 if i did not use techniclutch.

but then i have stated

that i am a taxi driver which techniclutch new before i brought the

clutch of them .i lost £600 in wages so to get my car back up and
    running. at a cost £1487 because of this company.

the thing with techniclutch
    they don't take into consideration that people like you

and me have to pay a garage labour yes labour labour techniclutch
    labour .

so any one thinking of buying a clutch from techniclutch dont. go to

euro car parts or car parts for less i would also like to add the

stress this a cause me and being right on top of Christmas. so please i

beg of you dont use techniclutch .you would be better making a clutch

out of lego and that would last longer ha ha ha ah

i am looking forward to taking them to court if they dont refund my labour because i know i will win hands down as my brother is barrister so for me its free i do also have back up of other ebay members as i will be supporting them in court as well and finally stop this company trading poor parts
  9. IceHanger

IceHanger Active Member

[Dec 11, 2012]
    you'll probably find it's cheap sh** from China, when they talk about there factory it'll be a shed in China with "Iffy" QC procedures some will work some wont,
    best advice is don't scrimp on cheap car parts it will bite you.
    The leading parts company's may use Chinese parts in a lot of their ranges but they have much tighter QC controls before they go out to the end user
    ...just my 2p
  10. Matt_Storm

Matt_Storm Member

[Jan 23, 2013]
    Has anyone actually had a refund from this company? i am having the same issues i bought one of there fast road kits at a cool £600 and it disintegrated after 2 weeks they said to send it back and now my emails and calls get fobbed off, ive been waiting 5 months for a refund. Now going to take court action and after reading all the complaints on other forums i am surprised techniclutch are still trading? we need to contact rogue traders or something-

Send your stories here only takes a min: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  11. nowyouknow

nowyouknow New Member

[Jan 23, 2013]
  12. nowyouknow

nowyouknow New Member

[Jan 23, 2013]
    I read on other forums that people have had refunds after contacting them at home. Check this link. Nationwide Clutch Distributors Ltd, Blackpool | Brakes & Clutches - Yell
  13. bmh.01

bmh.01 Member

[Jan 24, 2013]
    £220 and you were surprised???
  14. BB13

BB13 New Member

[Jan 24, 2013]
    How much they paid aint the point, Its the after service what sucks !
  15. Matt_Storm

Matt_Storm Member

[Apr 10, 2013]
    There is no after service as advised by citizen advice i sent letters outlining my complaints and got cocky replies stating they wont refund a used clutch even though it barely worked for 2 weeks, the next step is the report. As they are clearly running a huge scam and think they can take the piss I am setting up a list of complaints to take to trading standards i am also taking them to court with all the details and data being sent to watchdog - can everyone who has been affected by techniclutch please send me your stories to stormdruids@live.co.uk, feel free to post this on other forums.
  16. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

[Apr 10, 2013]
    My pal ordered a clutch from them for his fabia tdi it started slipping about a week after fitting and was rated 360ft lb and his car was 305ft lb dynod then they were making up stuff saying hes been driving it hard on a track even though the clutch was a racing clutch designed fo track days i would personally use darkside developements for uprated clutch kit on a TDI a3 they know there stuff
  17. boost-addict

boost-addict Member

[May 23, 2013]
    im confused by

a. how they still trade
    b. why i see threads like this started
    c. then see half of the posts say the clutches are good.

i was considering ordering via ebay, surely if its naff i can start a claim, ebay usally are good, and if i linked various websites they would see there **** (if thats the case)

for refrence this is what i was considering and has accepted a £250 offer

AUDI A4 1.8T TURBO B5 FLYWHEEL +CARBON KEVLAR CLUTCH | eBay
  18. box500

box500 Member

[May 24, 2013]
    Buy cheap - buy twice.
  19. boost-addict

boost-addict Member

[May 24, 2013]
    grtanted but £318 originally £425 as it was that price for some months can that be classed as cheap?

i think the main problem is the lower end cheap clutches like a 3 piece clutch kit for £90

when you look on cossie forums, techniclutch is put in a good name, saying they send out genuine ap racing clutches for far less then ap sell them for.

found as many bad words as i have good words, but when you figure out 9/10 bad words are for the cheap and nasty £90/£140 clutches, i mean there going to be.

looking at the pictures it looks of good quaility. and of course that can be a generic one but what im saying is, have you actually had dealing with techniclutch and was it a cheap or expencive one

just to not the most expencive one they do after this is the paddle clutch.

so, im not intrested in making a clutch kit from diffrebt cars and mostly i cba with the farting about getting it machined drilled cut etc so the only other one i found

SINGLE MASS FLYWHEEL SMF KIT AUDI A4 (B5) 1.8 12/97-11/00 | eBay

which isnt uprated, unless you think id have better results with this company as opposed to techniclutch

or stick with a dmf and get a clutch to fit that, which ive found a stage 2 clutch from panther and i know they supply good but again, ive read bad words about them so who the hell to you belive or trust or go with,

finally at end of day, if its **** ill send it back. i wont leave feedback till its done a good few hundred miles, i have 45 days to claim and after that if they dont accept liability then i can call ebay, i called them today and said if the seller offers warrenty with there product and the 45 day period has passed we can manully open a case our end to raise the warrenty claim.
    plus ill be fitting it my self so no laubor charges. just my time
  20. Matt_Storm

Matt_Storm Member

[Sep 4, 2013]
    My clutch was a techniclutch uprated carbon kevlar and lightened flywheel for a3 140 at a cool £560 it lasted a week before car become hard to change gear, in week 2 the clutch disintegrated in the centre section i was advised to send it back to them but they took months to respond..1st of all they claimed they never received it! They are cowboys do not buy anything from them ever! they still have not issued me a refund almost a year on, i am building a case if anyone else is in the same boat as me please get in touch.
    Total cost to me because of them - 1200

This is the clutch type but the one i received was made of cheap metal, i had it tested by an engineer who suggested it was imported from china : AUDI A3 TDI 130 ASZ FLYWHEEL+ CARBON KEVLAR CLUTCH | eBay
  21. boost-addict

boost-addict Member

[Sep 4, 2013]
    Cheers no i took the advise and have the audi 80 flywheel audi s4 friction plate and vw lt van pressure plate just having the time to get to modus engineering to have the fly. Wheel machined.
    Then i need gear box and rear crank seal and also the thrust bearing
  22. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Sep 4, 2013]
    The problem is that if something looks very cheap compared to other similar clutches or whatever,there's usually a good reason.

A good carbon metallic or Kevlar clutch will usually cost around £1200 straight off,and to find something for less than half the money indicates it's likely quality.

Also...in that picture,what on earth have they been up to with the flywheel?......it's full of what looks like not very well centred holes,and even if they are properly aligned,that's going to weaken the flywheel under load.

A properly made lightened SMF and clutch should look like this...

[​IMG]
  23. boost-addict

boost-addict Member

[Sep 4, 2013]
    Im hoping this clutch will see me though. What bhp/tourqe can my set up take?