AVJ 163bhp?????

pembo1976

Reaction score
Having recently bought an Audi that was sold as a '2002 A4 1.8T 163bhp Quattro sport' I'm puzzled as when I do research (going to get it mapped) all specification tables come back with the AVJ engine at 150bhp?? Ive looked at official and not so official sites and they come back with the AVJ producing 150bhp from 2000 onwards, the 163bhp is a different code.? Its not a huge problem but after reading some other threads there are other people quoting they have 163bhp models with AVJ engines???

Can someone clear this up for me pls??

Cheers

Checked on elsawin the 1.8T engines for 2002 are
AVJ = 150bhp
AMB,BFB = 163bhp
BEX = 190bhp

Maybe so but thats what elsawin is saying. I'm just passing on the info you looked for

My old AVJ was 150 but Juss's was 163 so I assume they must have done both.

Thanks for the reply's, I must say all the info points towards there never being a 163bhp AVJ engine. There is not one piece of info/spec that says there were two different spec engines produced, only the 150 bhp AVJ. Even more reason for me to get it mapped as I'm down 13 horses!

Cheers.

What does the sticker in your service book or in the spare wheel well say your power output is in KW?? The 163bhp will be 120KW & the 150bhp will be 110KW, it'll also give you the 3 letter designation of your engine and stop all your confusion!!

There was no AVJ with 163hp. It must have been a misprint or sth.

:think: Im going to have a look and check mine out because my model says 163bhp and Ive defo got an AVJ engine as I had to replace the ****** thing.... Ill be back!!

J7USS said:
:think: Im going to have a look and check mine out because my model says 163bhp and Ive defo got an AVJ engine as I had to replace the ****** thing.... Ill be back!!

I have wondered this for years, mine is the 150bhp AVJ 1.8TQ, but no insurance shows it at 150, neither does the DVLA which lists mine as 163 so you pay the higher tax band as IIRC the 150bhp Audi goes under the band for top rate tax

So we are paying insurance and tax on a 163 car but actually own a 150 :(

I have the 150bhp engine but still pay the maximum amount for Road Tax.