Average MPG at idle??

fasteddie

Reaction score
Hi, I recently noticed my avergae fuel consumption dropping, like a stone (ie from a long term ave of about 26-28 down to 20 and then a little later 17.6). So I put air in the tyres reset the ave MPG and drove it home, apart from recording very low MPG I noticed the AVE MPG counting down whilst stopped at traffic lights, the decimal places were counting down at a rate of 1 per second. I never watched this before but i feel I have a problem, anybody know if this is normal? If it isn't what could be causing this loss?
Cheers in advance, I darent take it out at the moment

its normal... how can you be getting any miles per gallon when stopped?

so the computer has e.g 20mpg on it for the last 1 mile journey, you stop at lights for 2 minutes, your using part of that gallon, but not having any miles done.

i wouldnt worry about it, if you are, you need to lay off the loud pedal a little, or buy a 1.5 diesel corsa :p

It will drop like that just after having reset the DIS, as claude explains. if you are worried it's change significantly I'd get it at the very least to someone with VAG-COM to check for any faults.

How many miles are you getting from a tank / has that changed?

This doesnt sount right to me to be honest. Id get it checked if I was you. I get 33mpg with a mix of city driving and 80mph motorway.

god_thats_quick said:
It will drop like that just after having reset the DIS, as claude explains. if you are worried it's change significantly I'd get it at the very least to someone with VAG-COM to check for any faults.

How many miles are you getting from a tank / has that changed?
I dont know what I am getting per tank as this has only just happened and I've just filled the tank. Normally I get around 250. Anybody in Kent got Vag Com

Kef9 said:
This doesnt sount right to me to be honest. Id get it checked if I was you. I get 33mpg with a mix of city driving and 80mph motorway.
33mpg? Are you sure it's an S3 and not a TDI? :)

i get about 17-19 mpg, and about 200-250 a tank. 90% city driving. Goes up to about 27-30 if i go on a long run.

We've been here before but I pretty much always get over 300miles to a tank, did manage 401.6 but then ran out... :keule:

My journeys are a mixture of motorway and fast A roads, when I managed over 400 that was pretty much all sticking to speed limits on the motorway.

fasteddie said:
33mpg? Are you sure it's an S3 and not a TDI? :)

Ill take a photo of my dashboard to show you if you want!