Avant Tailgate Removal

chud

Reaction score
My Avant has a had a shunt up the rear and now needs a rear bumper and tailgate. Its a 1997 1.9tdi quattro.
Do we have a guide on here explaining how to remove the tailgate and all the gubbins inside? I've done a quick search but not come up with anything. Is it a fairly straightforward job?
Also does anybody have a rear bumper and ail gate available?

Thanks

PM TonyA, he's breaking an avant and I think he has all the bits you need.

Just watch the year it comes off. I have just had the same problem (and 3 lids later became sort of an expert in Avant tailgates!)

As far as I know >'97 is part number 8D9 827 023D. Same number ending in 'S' is '98 and early '99 (different slam panel) and late '99 onwards ends in 'R' (facelift solenoid mechanism).

I was going to try and fit the facelift but gave up as the CL pump and loom isn't a direct swap.

Incidentally if anyone needs a Nogaro blue facelift Avant tailgate with tinted glass PM me!

Thanks mixmaster, you probably just saved me lots of annoyance!

No worries.

The tailgate is really easy to strip. Just be patient pulling any fasteners so as not to break them. With the CL mechanism don't cut the pipe - squeeze the 'clip' where the hose attaches to the vacuum servo and it clips off (I also found this out the hard way).

Once unclipped feed the wiring loom out one side and the CL hose/rear washer hose out the other. Once out you can remove the tailgate.

Careful taking out the external operating handles (above the number plate) - they need squeezing from the inside first or you will break them.

Take a couple of pictures as you go so you can put it all back the same way!

Anywhere near Leicester and I am happy to help. PM me if you get stuck.