1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avant tailgate closing

tbs Feb 14, 2013

1. tbs

tbs Member

Every now and then when I close my tailgate in a hurry it seems to rebound and not close. Has any one else had this problem. Is there an adjustment needed?

2. Ian-83

Ian-83 Member

I have this problem too but yet to work out what's causing it.

3. Audi Doodah

Audi Doodah Active Member

Me too! Usually happens if I push the boot closed though. I find that if I "pull" it shut with the interior trim handles and let it fall on it's own weight, it closes every time.

4. glenandem

glenandem Active Member

same here guys,ive sorted mine now though, firstly i read it was the boot lock actuator sticking or getting old and weak so i replaced that from audi at about £30 if i remember rightly but that didnt sort it and i went and bought the actual catch and that sorted it, i did try lubing the catch which was ok for a short period but i just replaced it in the end and its been fine since!

5. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

Yeah, mine often bounces too, and as said by doodah, if I pull it and let it fall of its own accord it closes nicely...usually.

And thanks for the advice, I might look into the catch. I have had it stuck before when trying to open it too soon after it bounced. I had to leave the car for about 10 mins and then re-try it! It was a right pain.

6. tbs

tbs Member

Thanks to all for the feedback. Sounds like a common fault. Anyone know the price of a catch?