1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avant sub panel removal?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Jonion, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Jonion

Jonion Member

[Jun 20, 2010]
    I've had a good look around and can't find anything that helps.

I have the tupperware sub in my Avant and need to get to it to see what i can do with it. Changed HU and want to actually have some sound from the rears :drool:

So any tips on the easiest way to remove the trim panel that covers the sub area ?

Cheers.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

[Jun 20, 2010]
    Hello mate. I removed mine a while back as it was so tired it was farting instead of .......
    All I did was undo/unclip the fasteners around the nearside trim and pull the whole thing back. I managed to break some clips so when I put it back together I araldited some parts. Prob never take it off again so sod it! All I can say is don't be shy when removing it as its on there pretty well! (well mine was!)
  4. Jonion

Jonion Member

[Jun 21, 2010]
    Thanks for that.
    Excuse my denseness:think: but I don't want to break too much if I can help it...
    This trim you speak of ?
    Any more specific clues or pics that show which bits need to be taken off/unbolted etc ?
    Seems to be attached to the upper trim part and may need the seatbelt securing point removing?
  5. Jonion

Jonion Member

[Jun 21, 2010]
    Well on having a look the fastenign places are more obvious.. someone else must have looked for them judging by the marks lol

got the tupperware sub out, it's the single driver on metal plate type.
    I have no cd changer in there so looks like I'll be making a sub box to fill that space properly.
    If anyone has already done this I'd like to see what's been doen for inspiration.
  6. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

[Jun 21, 2010]
    Hello mate. I pulled the panel up and towards me. Didnt look too long for the fixings! It didnt break hardly anything. Ref the sub enclosure you wanna build pm a guy called aragorn on here. He did a VERY good job building one. Its almost perfect. Search for his thread about it for pics....I couldnt be arsed so ended up customising one i bought to fit down by the rear footwell behind the front passenger seat so the boot is free.
  7. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 21, 2010]
    Mine looks like this:

http://friesian.lr90.org/gallery2/d/712-1/DSC00568.JPG

Took a fibreglass mould of the side of the boot, down onto the floor and into the cubby, then cut the front and top from MDF, screwed it together then fibreglassed round the joints, and carpeted the whole thing.

There are some other pics around, but i cant find them atm.
  8. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 21, 2010]
    Or something a bit stealthier:
    [​IMG]
  9. Jonion

Jonion Member

[Jun 22, 2010]
    Cheers both :)

That's the sort of thing I had in mind Andy, stealthy.
    I'll see what I can make to fill the space available and probably mount an amp where the original speaker part was by the wheel arch.
    Leave it behind the panel completely with driver firing through the removable panel. So I can keep that cover in place for the most part but remove while actually listening to something.
    Probably go for some cheap options for now as still not sure if keeping the car.
    My ICE install days are long behind me now. Although I am pondering how my last decent set-up would sound in this car.. JL 500/1 driving 2 JL12W3s and a 500/4 driving JL and Caliber components with Caliber bass driver and EQ.