Avant rear wiper failed

Dinorich

Reaction score
My Avant rear wiper stopped wiping mid wipe and now won't budge. Rear wash still works and testing the motor plug with a multimeter shows 12V across the black/red wire and ground (brown). Nothing is showing across the other wires and ground when the stalk is pushed forward for rear wipe. Fuze is fine. There are no sounds of life from the motor. Does anybody have any ideas or had this happen before?

Audi's rear wiper motors are quite common to fail. I've had two fail throughout my Audi owner history

I would say gears are blocked, because grease has mixed with washer fluid. Remove trim, remove motor, open motor housing, clean, install additional o-ring (so it never mixes again), use new grease (water resistant), close housing, test. If motor circuit is wet, maybe it is broken.
The two wires you measured always have 12V, the other two are trigger from control unit, you cannot measure it with multimeter.

Check these images I did when mine wiper was broken
A4 B8 Rear Wiper

I would say gears are blocked, because grease has mixed with washer fluid. Remove trim, remove motor, open motor housing, clean, install additional o-ring (so it never mixes again), use new grease (water resistant), close housing, test. If motor circuit is wet, maybe it is broken.
The two wires you measured always have 12V, the other two are trigger from control unit, you cannot measure it with multimeter.

Check these images I did when mine wiper was broken
A4 B8 Rear Wiper
the pictures shown is exactly what my A4 avant B6 looked like water ingress and all parts were corroded and I replaced mine with a new one it is the only fix, it is a common failure with the Avant across the ranges I had to cut the wiper shaft off under the wiper arm with a hacksaw as I could not get the wiper to budge so you might have to do the same, owner of an Audi A4 B8 salloon no more wipers. cheers from Colin

Thanks everyone. I suspected that the two wires were prob on the bus and therefore not measurable, thanks for confirming. There was some evidence of corrosion and the washer was blocked not long ago so I suspect it has damaged the motor. Think I'll buy a new one and replace save increasing the chances of me damaging trim, I think one clip has already gone :(. Cheers for your help.

Reactions: turbozob
Mine just stopped working yesterday. Did you get yours fixed?
audi rear wipers are famous for failing and it is due to corrosion through washer fluid leaking into the motor, I could not get the wiper arm off and ended up cutting it off with a hacksaw purchased a valeo wiper motor and with it came a wiper arm, good luck with it cheers from Colin