Avant petrol temperature sender problem

NathanA4Avant

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post, loving the forum so far. Ive had a search but nothing seems to match my current problem.

My Avant doesn't register a temperature at all. Its always stayed on 0.

I have asked at Audi and its either a sensor or the dash apparently.

I think its the sensor as there are a few other niggles with the car. Its reluctant to start sometimes when really cold, its really lumpy at idle (quite violent sometimes) and its using loads of fuel. Typical MPG is down to 24 average on a mixed run.

Does this all sound like a sensor or is something more sinister afoot.

Its had a new fuel rail.injectors just before i bought it. Been back to the dealer it came from to be scanned on a computer but nothing came up.

Any ideas?

Cheers. Nathan.

id go for the cts 1st
bout £20 from audi gsf euro parts also sell them half hour job to fit
when they go bad they usaly make the gauge go up and down never seen one rest at 0 tho

If it helps, the gauge on my 03 2.5TDi used to stay welded to 0 no matter what. I replaced the dual temp sensor (via GSF) and it now works perfectly, sitting bang on 90deg and the car does seem a little smoother to drive now but that's perhaps just the placebo effect. So yes, would recommend replacing the sensor in the first instance.

Ok, cheers for the replies. Eurocarparts are closer than GSF, so would like to get from them if i can.

How do i know if its the right one? 2 listed on the website. Is it a case of getting a part number from Audi and matching it or are they likely to be different?

And is it the one located at the back of the head?

I'm used to owning and rebuilding minis so this modern stuff is all new and very worrying. Expensive if broken etc.

Just replaced the CTS on my S4 as the gauge sometimes read 0, even after showing a higher value initially.

The V8 was drinking ridiculous amounts of fuel but it's now back to normal (just worrying amounts!).

The CTS can be deceptive as, even if the gauge displays right, the CTS sends a different signal to the ECU which could be overfuelling to compensate for cold temperature it perceives.

ok, sensor paid for and replaced. problem still exists. is there a sensor in the lower rad hose, is it worth me changing it, or is it something else.

might have to take it to be scanned at Audi. at a loss now as to what it could be.