1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avant boot size

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by warnergb7, Nov 16, 2010.

1. warnergb7

warnergb7 New Member

I'm currently very tempted by an S4 Avant but also really like the s5 sportback. The brouchures claim the avant only has 10litres more boot space. Does anyone know if the avant is only counting up to the luggage cover (ie back of the seats) or does it include up to the roof

to me the sportback boot looks pretty big but maybe these things are deceptive and I don't want to rock up to the dealer with the puschair and a load of bags to test it...
  2. Necroscope

Necroscope Member

Test it dude, thats what they are there for.

I would "guess" its to the window level as they say not to load over this point. The S5 sportback is a massive car with a big boot, but its also heavier and slower than the avant...............IIRC.
  3. Stuhil

Stuhil Member

S*d the dealer...take your pram, changing bags the lot..take everything you might need to carry. I took everything...the salesmans face was like thunder as I tried configuring everything in the boot of an A5, A4 Avant and A6 Avant...he was even more annoyed when I told him that as he hadn't made any follow up enquiry with me after my 24hrs test drive 3 weeks previous that I wouldn't be buying from him, it was just unfortunate that he was my closet dealer (by 30miles).

Although I fancied the A5 the wife wasn't happy that it only had four seats. Ended up buying the A4 Avant SpEd. I did considered the A6 Le Mans (now SpEd) as after I'd specced up the A4 it came within a couple of hundred pounds of it. With this being our first child and now having had the A4 for a couple of months, with hindsight, I should have bought the A6.

As my wife kept saying...you can't have too big a car when it comes to children...

I always find that despite spending 30+K most salesman belittle your budget and think theyre doing you a favour when selling you a car. Wrong...Mr salesman...I'm doing you a favour.

PS...don't know where your based but when I eventually bought (from Stirling Audi) the salesman was most pleasant and did everything he could to help...
    PPS hope my rant helps
  4. Stuhil

Stuhil Member

The A5 boot is slightly wider and deeper which would account for the extra 10litres (picture two fuel cans - that's how I do it) however with the sloping hatch of the A5, the A4 boot is almost twice the height so I guess it must only give boot volumes up to the load cover. A4 also has a retractable retaining net built in to the parcel shelf which allows you to load the boot up without fear of the contents landing on your passengers should you need to brake in a hurry...
  5. warnergb7

warnergb7 New Member

is that right then that its slower? On the s5/s4 avant figures I thought they looked about the same with the s5 having slightly (and I mean tiny) better fuel economy.

Stuhil - you're wife definitely has a point and we now have two kids. Thing is they are getting a bit bigger, need a bit less stuff and its just me in the car 90% of the time....
  6. redspudder

redspudder Sparky

I recently had A5 sportback for the day,the car was top notch and the boot is a decent size but the "hatch back" is just a gimmick IMO yes the boot is large but has no height at all the so called parcel shelf was as wide as a case on its end and this is all it is good for, you would get much more in Avant i would say.
  7. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Active Member

dont be shy.the available space in an avant is pretty piss poor fo a car its size.If you dont go to the dealer, then test drive it at your home.I have to put suitcases on the back seat in my avant when we go away, and thats 2 adults and a teenager.I need a trailer/roofrack if i need to go to the coast...fold up chairs are a def no no in the boot
  8. redspudder

redspudder Sparky

I would also say both the A4 saloon and the avant are a poor design in the boot(sideways on),Audi in there wisdom filled in above the wheel arches in the rear thus meaning i struggle to get the pushchair in the boot sideways on it does go but has to be forced in and its only an average size pushchair.I had a B6 saloon before the B8 and the pushchair fit in the boot sideways on with no problems.I have brought this up with my dealer but they where not interested just thought i would try and givem them a little feedback.