Auxilliary radiator delete?

nickb834

Reaction score
So - my B6 S4 has a leaking o/s auxilliary radiator and the n/s doesn't look like it's too far behind.

I'm loathe to spend 150 quid on a radiator and then have to replace it again in a couple of years.

I had the bumper off this weekend to sort out a snapped alternator belt (swapped tensioner and idler too) I took a good long look at the aux rad - I'm inclined to bypass the rad and remove it - much the way that some people have on the B6/7 S4/RS4 so they can fit a cold air intake kit.

What I'm thinking of is a pipe with two 90 degree elbows - for the same overall length as the distance between the two outlets on the rad, where the elbows have the same internal and external diameter as the rad outlets.

Has anybody on here done this - got any tips, where to source elbows and hose for example?

there is a specific kit avialable from the u.s
i would not simply bypass the rads as one of them is actually to control oil temperature and with it deleted you may well overheat the oil

there is a specific kit avialable from the u.s
i would not simply bypass the rads as one of them is actually to control oil temperature and with it deleted you may well overheat the oil

You sure about the oil, because there's a separate oil cooler on an S4? (there was on my B5 but I can't recall for sure on a B6?).

I saw the JHM kit - but it's not really worth the expense, the import duty etc - particularly as I have no interest in fitting a cold air intake.

That said it's a moot point as I've managed to get an offside radiator from Leeds audi for trade price - Audi UK even had 3 in stock so it's here tomorrow.

I'm thinking of cutting an inch and half gap in the air duct that butts upto the rad, so that leaves and crud etc can drop down instead of clagging up at the bottom of the rad like it did in mine:

Photo

Hopefully it'll at least stop any corrosion - won't do much for stones etc.

yes mate quite sure
the jhm kit replaces the d/s one with a mocal oil cooler which mounts directly to the block

when i had my bumper off there wasnt much crud or **** in there but i did manage to spray the rads with sprayable copper slip
this should hopefully weather protect them against anything being lodged in there
might be worth doing the same while your doing the job