Aux Water Pump Leaking - S3 AMK Engine

jimbo_123

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just wondered if anyone has had the same issue as me?...

Noticed a very tiny amount of water coming down one of the cooling fans the other day and it turns out it's the auxillary water pump is leaking between one of the joins on the pump. :mad:

Is this pump prone to leakage? Not made the call to the stealer yet to get a price but I guess you can't get a repair kit for these and the only repair is a replacement unit!

Cheers!

Wouldnt say this is a common problem. I did notice that mine had crusty red deposits around the seal. IIRC it can be opened so i would suggest that you try to opn it up if you can, clean up the mating edges and apply some liquid gasket. It might work. If it does then you save having to buy a new one.

The antifreeze contains a leak sealing additive (the crusty red stuff) so it could be worth leaving it for a week or so to see if it sorts itself out.

Cheers for the response guys.
I had about a 200 mile round trip on Saturday and the coolant level has hardly moved, although it is still weeping slightly.
I'll see how it goes and if gets any worse I may have a crack at opening the 2 mating surfaces and trying liquid sealant or maybe try and get a gasket from Audi.

Although I do have peace of mind that the car has a warranty (independant) but there is a £50 excess

quick update... the leak doesnt seem to be getting any better :( just phoned Audi, they quoted a price of £97 plus the vat for the pump!
So the total price will be well over £100 with the VAT and antifreeze included
I think I'll be going through the warrenty with the £50 excess then!

hmmm maybe the guy on the phone was leading up the garden path!

Is that exhange at Audi or gsf or like?

just got the water pump from VW as I was in there, im changing mine with the cam belt suppose to be a surcharge until I return the pump but dont know what that is, they may have forgot on the bill :)

just checked water pump was 29.16 + VAT part no - 06a121012 x (says was 06a121011tx)

mine is a BAM engine S3 , if that makes any difference.

I think we're getting confused mate. I'm on about the auxilary water pump (electrically operated) that sits at the top of the rad.... not the one that driven by the cambelt.

Cheers for your replies mate, much appreciated! :beerchug: