automatic lights

RHODIE

Reaction score
I have led lights which have automatic lights. when driving and it is getting dark, or just bad weather, how do I know if my lights have turned in? I know drl are bright but was more worried by the fact that I would have no back lights.
just read adaptive lights don't work unless lights set to auto.

Leave the switch in Auto. This will be illuminated in Yellow.

When it gets dark enough, the next symbols around the switch will also illuminate. This is an indicator that the dipped beam lights have turned on, as well as the corresponding tail lghts.

The red ring around the cigarette lighter will also illuminate, and the sat nav screen will go into night mode.

Note that the AUTO setting will only turn on your lights based on bright/darkness, as well as rain (if you have auto wipers fitted, it will work in conjunction with those). It will also turn on dipped beam at sustained "highway" speeds (but won't necessarily turn on tail lights)

It WILL NOT automatically turn on any additional lights due to bad or inclement weather (eg: Fog) - you will need to manually turn the dial all the way clockwise yourself.

More:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/auto-lights.215313/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/auto-lights.186652/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/lighting-on-dials.225273/

Last edited:
Reactions: danilotto
" It will also turn on dipped beam at sustained "highway" speeds"

I never knew that!

I've not yet had the patience to find out what the exact speed is !

edit:
It might not be enabled in all markets/areas:

b9Q4ejP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: danilotto
I drove back home late last night via M4, Are and some back roads. Totally impressed with the LED lights.

The sat nav being put into night mode is separate from the lights I believe

The sat nav being put into night mode is separate from the lights I believe

Perhaps, but I've noticed it switch into night mode consistently when the 12V/cigarette lighter red ring is illuminated, and the "dipped beam" symbol is illuminated on the light switch.

Reactions: JohnM100
Have also wondered about how you know when the lights are on with the Auto.
Once again, thanks Veeeight - never thought to look there, although obvious now pointed out.

You can also make the SatNav go to Night Mode by setting it up as "the button" on the steering wheel.
Haven't had the SatNav on at night yet, although if it does it automatically, then I'll have to reset my "button" to do something else.

I am SO pleased that I found this Site.
They should make the Dealers hand out this website address when you purchase a car.

Reactions: Minion Bob! and phil1824
Headlights also come on automatically when it rains as well, which is good (other drivers who only put on side lights, or no lights at all, need shooting)

Sat Nav does go into night mode automatically. I just have my button as next track, the only one that made sense to me!

Reactions: Snibo
wow a heap of extra information. thank you all now more confident in the lighting.

LED headlights are awesome - you can also adjust the sensitivity as to when the lights come on via the MMI under Systems / Car systems > Vehicle settings > Exterior lighting > Activation time. I've set it to early and it seems sensible but then I'd rather drive round with my lights on at all times anyway :D

Didn't know the headlights turned on when cruising down the motorway but then it tends to be tricky to see your own lights when you're doing (no more than) 70mph...

Yep, the activation time can be set with the Xenons too. I had mine on Early originally, but have changed to Medium since and it seems perfect to me. Every time I think "I should put my lights on", I glance down and the car already has them on, perfect!

(Apart from fog obviously, have to switch them manually then)

Reactions: veeeight
Good to know about the cigarette lighter /12v socket illumination when headlights are on - will look out for that.

One of my criticisms is that it's not always obvious when the lights are on. Ditto for fogs too, as all the status lights on the headlight switch are obscured by the steering wheel (at least for me). I thought the older switch design twist and pull was much better.

As for fogs - had the car a year and only used them twice, and one of those was because someone coming towards me was using theirs as driving lights and I hoped they would get the hint (which they didn't).

John.

Thanks veeight for your knowledge. Loving this function at the moment probably even more when we gain an hours sleep on Sunday and lose the light earlier in the afternoon gradually. I personally think the design of the rear SB tail lights beautiful as much the front led headlights. My button? What is that?

Last edited:
Another little gem:

The AUTO is normally illuminated in Yellow, and when the headlight automatically come on, if you then press the Rear Fog Light switch, the AUTO changes from Yellow to Red (presumably to indicate that a manual function has been selected).

Doesn't it also put the instrument lights on too?

I have comfort pack and auto lights. The instrument lights are on all the time but dim slightly as the daylight light fades (prob as a reminder for non-auto light people to put their lights on).

Can confirm the 12v/cigarette lighter illumination coincides with auto lights coming on - as stated by Veeight.

John.

Another discovery today:

Assuming you have auto lights, and the switch is in AUTO:

If you press the rear fog light button (without moving the rotary knob) - the LSM will automatically put the headlights, rear tail lights and switchgear lights on. AUTO symbol will change colour to indicate manual function selected.

You do not have to turn the headlamps on manually, before pressing the rear fog light switch.

Can't check what happens if you press the front fog switch while in AUTO, as I don't have any front fog lights.

Do full LED have a version of adaptive swivel for xenon?

It says turning but doesn't say they swivel in the brochure.

Reactions: andyv49
You get cornering lights rather than swivel headlights.

So you don't get the following the corner effect?

How quickly does it activate?

Ordered LED but think I'd rather have the follow the corner over an indicator I can't see.

Apologies for digressing.

The LEDs are static and it just illuminates different individual LEDs for different conditions I think - there are no moving parts, so they can't 'swivel' as such. Xenon plus gives you the static cornering lights AND the adaptive swivel lights, the static cornering lights are really great and more noticeable than the swivel I think, but they are designed for slow speed manoeuvring and junctions, the swivel lights are for faster driving / bends in the road.

Just a note: In my opinion, the rotary knob is ill-conceived, because for going from zero(off) to low beams you are forced to pass the AUTO position. So, clockwise: 0-auto-parking lights-low beam.

My bmw rotary knob is better conceived: the auto position is CCW to the zero, so if you do not use the auto position you only find the parking lights and low beam CW. So, clockwise: auto-0-parking light-low beam.

This is also error proof and you do not risk to engage auto supposing that it is parking light or low beam lol.

Is it really a problem that you have to go through Auto? The change takes 1/2 second or so to take effect anyway so you can switch modes and the lights won't do anything until you 'settle' on a new position

+1 on the awesomeness of Adpative Lights. The corner light function is really helpful on dark country lanes and the adaptive headlights, following the steering wheel movements, works surprisingly well.
My commute is pretty much country roads all the way and this function certainly gives you a bit more confidence when you're late home for dinner...

My S3 is equipped with the adaptive xenons (or so I thought). I had them on my previous TT and liked them, the swivelling effect was very obvious but could not justify the extra cost of the LEDs. I cannot see them working on the S3. Something else to get checked when I get around to taking it back to the dealer to get the rattles sorted (both windows and the sunroof!). I just signed on to MyAudi for the first time - all my options are listed, except the adaptive headlights. Don't know how accurate MyAudi is. They were definitely on the order and they were paid for. Have to wait till Monday to contact the dealer now.

I've got AUTO lights as I have the comfort pack. I noticed the other morning that my headlights were ON as they were reflecting off the car in front whilst in traffic. I looked down to the 12v Cigarette Lighter to check and the red ring wasn't lit. How can this be? How can I tell if my headlight are indeed on from inside the car?

If it's raining, and the wipers are activated, it will switch on the headlights after a period.

You can tell from inside the car because the Green headlight tell tale will light up.

Green lights next to the headlights knob.

Crap position should be included in DIS or at least dash.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
If it's raining, and the wipers are activated, it will switch on the headlights after a period.

You can tell from inside the car because the Green headlight tell tale will light up.
Yep, so true.
I usually have rain repellant in my windscreen so i never use the automatic wipers, only the 1 wipe when i need it.
So when its raining hard but with sun I just have to turn my lights manually

I yave the oed lighrs too.

The only issue I have with the audi auto lights us they are crap when it comes to fog and sometimes don't come on.

Cheers everyone....but should it be possible to have the headlights on and not have the red ring lit around the cigaretter lighter??

When I drove on the M6 about a week ago it rained so heavily that you could hardly see at all because of the spray. I decided to put my rear fog lights on as the visibility was so bad. The problem I had was finding the correct push button for the rear fogs. On my previous A3s it was so much easier because all you had to do was pull out the large main lighting switch, one stop for front fogs and two stops for rear fogs. I suppose the only advantage of the new switches is that it is possible to have the rear fogs on without the front ones.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
^ I too prefer the "pull for fogs" switch.

Mind you, the push buttons are only a problem in the RHD markets, as the steering wheel obscures the buttons.

The same Light Switch Module, in the LHD car, doesn't obscure the buttons ;)

I have LED lights and in the MMI noticed option for adaptive lights on / off - what does that do for the LED lights ?

Agree with the preference for pull on switch for fog lights. I don't think I've ever used them 'for real' but when I do, I shall have to look for the switches (because they are indeed obscured by the steering wheel) and then try and remember which is front and which is rear.

Slight digression, but my ☆switch is set to TP because if you suddenly want a traffic report it's a bit of a faff to go through the menus to set it up.

I don't really think it's an issue having the fog lights hard to use. It's basic ergonomics - make the regularly used things easy to do and the less used things harder. Fog lights have got to be one of the least used bits (unless you are one of these idiots who likes to put them on because of a bit of drizzle, but I don't think Audi's controls designers cater for them much!)