1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic Gearbox

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by colinra, Dec 23, 2008.

1. colinra

colinra Member

OK here goes:

The old man has bought a 330d Automatic. Was driving it the other day and got to a junction and held it stationary on the footbrake. Obviously, the car is ready to creep forward when I let the footbrake off. If you put it into N it disengages the drive and the car will no longer 'creep'. Is there any advantage to puting it into N while waiting at junctions or is it more mechanically sympathetic just to leave it in D? It's just that it feels like it is straining when holding it stationary on the brake.

Sorry if I sound thick, but this is the first auto in the family and I just want to treat it as nice as possible.

Colin
  2. benr

benr Member

I used to have a polo auto and never ever ever put it in Neutral when waiting in traffic or lights. The owners manual said keep it in D when stopping in traffic or at lights.

I used to use my handbrake though at lights to get a quick getaway.
  3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I don't know much about auto's, but my understanding is you should put it into N in these situations to avoid unnecessary wear on the torque converter.
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Correct, if stationary for a moment, then leave it in 'D', I would put it in 'N' if you was still for more than say 30secs, or you will do some damage to the torque Converter in the long run with the heat build up. Also canes the fuel if you keep the car stopped by the brakes whilst in 'D', similar to having a load on the engine with the aircon on.
  5. benw123

benw123 Moderator

Agree with the posts above - for long periods, you should switch to N with the handbrake on. This also prevents drivers behind you being blinded by your brake lights.

My Prius has a nice feature where you can press a separate Park (P) button when the car has come to a stop. Then just flick the little level into D again and away you go.