Autoglym Polymer

Ian_C

Dorsprung Turch Vechnique
Reaction score
Anyone - I have been offered some sort of Autoglym Polymer protection for my prospective purchase - described as some protection for inside and out for the liftetime of the car.

What is this and is it worth it? Or is it a load of rubbish sales talk?:detective2:

I wouldnt bother, there are many products available and TBH I'd rather spend the money and get one of the professional detailerrs down when I collect the car.

I used one of the swisswax guys, come down, give you some pointers on how to wash the car while they are doing the job, then go through a prewax / wax process again showing youhow to do it for the future, and get a few select products while they are there.

I think this is the best way as it gives you a better idea of what youare doing and how to achieve best results.

Yeah it was the whole "its the dash, carpets seats and external bodywork" that got me - what exactly is this?!

Some Polymer proection nonsense - would be included in my finance payments if i went for it - suspect its a gimmick - or is it going to keep my car looking infinatly better?

you could look on ebay for "diamondbrite" - this is the origional paint protection which includes stage 1, stage 2, conservor and fabric protector (same as scotchguard used on house sofas) - sell for about £10 on ebay :)

Only lasts 6 months too, they say lifetime but it needs ideally applying every season change ie twice yearly.

Worth doing if you can get a massive discount on it or even thrown in on th deal seeing as though it only costs the dealer around £60 and they charge us £300!!

when i worked in valeting years ago we used diamondbrite until the dealer changed to a cheaper version which was poor in comparison.
The scotchguard kits cost the dealer £25, he paid the valeter £20 to apply it and charged between £300 and £475 depending on the car.
The con was each car needed less than a full kit so a customer buying it for a new Jag was paying £175 more than someone buying it for his Citroen :(

I've been using Diamondbrite for a while and would be hard pressed to return to wax based polish.

First of all, Diamondbrite is a dual stage system that reacts together to form a hardened mineral based shell as opposed to waxey shell.

Waxes soften during warm weather and absorb road dust particles that etch into paintwork until the wax evaporates off the bodywork. Usually after about 4 - 6 weeks. Diamondbrite has a greater level of permanence if you follow Jewelultra's regime of conserver application once monthly.

Add it as a rinse then wash off before leathering dry. It gives a really fantastic finish if applied correctly. I found that by removing the swirls using Autoglym's paint renovator or similar then applying the first stage using a small peice of sponge. Allow to dry to a haze then using another piece of sponge, apply the 2nd stage directly ontop. Do the whole car and go off for a brew or two then buff off starting where you commenced your application in straight lines. That's it basically.

I hope that if you do decide to go down the Diamondbrite route, buy it from ebay in sachet form. You won't be disappointed.

My New A4 Cabriolet S Line will be getting the treatment very soon!:blow: