AutoGlym LifeShine protection

brad9753

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had this option added. Or this is what it is called on my invoice, but it is basically some sort of coating to the paint and interior that adds extra shine and gives me some sort of guarantee on the paint work not fading etc.
When the dealer suggested it, it sounded really good, but since I have been researching cleaning products to buy, it seems to have some poor reviews. I don't know if the autoglm on my invoice is what the dealer was talking about, because it was called something else, but pretty sure it must be.
Some forums say it is not even a permanent shine and that the kit you get with it you must re do it a few months after.
DOes anybody have this or know what I am talking about?
Also, my build week is week 28, is it to late to remove this option?

Last edited:
I believe you're referring to the AutoGlym LifeShine protection. Dealers seem to be selling it for anythign up to £400, but in some cases chucking it in for free (Depending on your negotiation skills!).

I think it is excellent, but certainly wouldn't have paid more than a few hundred for it. You get a cleaning kit with it that contains around £100 worth of product.

Most people I've spoken to think its crap, some detailers also spoken with, think you should spend the money on a good detail &/or detailing/maintenance products, without a personal agenda, as they've been friends of mine.

So will it last the whole 3 years? And thats right the AutoGlym LifeShine protection. On my invoice its just "autoglym". £166 isn not inc VAT.

Not sure if I should take it off or not...

And it was thrown in for "free", but if I take it off it will still decrease my monthly payments.

You'd have to check with them, if they've said it was 'free' but it's listed on the invoice then technically, yes, it should reduce the amount you pay.

Mine was chucked in, and it didn't appear on the invoice.

He reduced the amount of the car by the same amount, and added it on (with asset protection). It does appear on my invoice as an amount though yes.

For £400 you can yourself an amazing detail and have your paint glass coated using 22PLE or Gtechniq and its guaranteed to last for up to 18 months.

Reactions: NHN
Don't bother, as previous spend the money on some decent products. Lifeshine kits can be bought on eBay for about £30

Mark

Yea, I saw those kits on ebay. So those you can buy are just doing the same thing? So you are paying for the labour basically? If I buy one of the autoglym kits, I pretty much get the same result?

Yea, I saw those kits on ebay. So those you can buy are just doing the same thing? So you are paying for the labour basically? If I buy one of the autoglym kits, I pretty much get the same result?

yes they are the same and you would get the same result. Have a read of Polished Bliss links in the detailing section, they offer great advice and recommend the best products for particular colours.

Mark

You also get a guarantee if you have it done officially. Some would say the guarantee is worthless though.

So will it last the whole 3 years? And thats right the AutoGlym LifeShine protection. On my invoice its just "autoglym". £166 isn not inc VAT.

Not sure if I should take it off or not...

there is no way it lasts for 3 years, 3-6 months max.

Mark

I had the life shine on my scirocco from new, was really disappointed, think i managed to strip the protection first time i washed it or it was never applied, got the car detailed shortly after i got it, detailer maintained there was no protection on car. Not worth the money give the money to a detailer or spend it on cleaning products.

I bought one off Ebay for £5, carn't really say its helped the exterior as I have waxed it now and use a quick detailer regularily as for the interior I haven't split anything on the cloth so dont know if it acts as a barrier to the spillage either

My wife has it on her Skoda Fabia and it still has a good shine after 5 months. That said, I'm on it every week or so with Auto Glym Shampoo Conditioner. We got Lifeshine to give the interior some protection as it's light cloth - seems to work on that.

Good bag of products supplied with it too. Cost £250.

I've never bothered with it on any of my cars. I'd rather potter on myself.

I buy the used kits from a local VW dealer for £5 , some have all the products in never been used some have been opened. Luck of the draw if the dealer has actually used it on your car.

I've only had lifeshine once (free when a Civic Type R was delivered late as part of the dealers sorry package) and I have to say I think it's worthless, it's an add on like the overpriced gap insurance and makes the dealer plenty of money.

You'd be better off buying the Autoglym products (which having tried more expensive stuff I still think are good) and polishing the car yourself imo. But if you have the £400 to spare (or don't like polishing!) then the pro detailers really are worth the money I've seen a few TTs and RS3s that have been detailed and they look amazing, your jaw will drop. I know where I'd spend my money!

When you say gap insurence, do you mean the asset protection? ...I have that to :(

Have taken off the AutoGlym option now though!

Yep asset protection - get a few quotes from elsewhere and ask them to match the prices. These are all the big add on options for dealers, you can do better.

It has officially been removed from my quote :D Saved me £6 a month- every little helps!

Now to get the asset protection removed! May wait for a later date to do that..

I was offered lifeshine for £199. I'm getting a local detailer to prep the car and apply Gtechniq total surface protection to paint, wheels, glass and interior for £295. Should be much better for only £96 more.

It does seem to vary between dealers, my dad had it thrown in with his vw tiguan for £100. His had the car nearly 18 months, its black, and I've cleaned it once or twice and it's the easiest black car I've ever cleaned!!!, dirt just falls off, and finish afterwards with no effort is very good!!

that along with the bag of products you get , and the interior stain guarantee, I'd possibly have it! If price was right, and I knew it had been completed properly :)

Yeah, I didn't ask for it and it was never mentioned or stated in the paperwork, so it was 'thrown in' for good will at the end. I'd definitely say it's worth something, but I saw a quote from a dealer yesterday that had stuck it on the PCP quote and it was listed at £400.... that's crazy. The bag of products you get is worth ~£100, and then it's down to you to decide what you think the protection is worth on top of that. I'm pleased with the results on mine and as number3 says, it's so easy to clean :)