Auto vs Manual ??

stuart.garlinge

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the final stages of shopping for an A5 probably the 3lt tdi depending what answers are here, my final box to tick is which gear box, multitronic, tiptronic or manual, reading online, forums etc, early multitronic can be fragile, autos seem to be expensive if not devices regularly, manual?? My question saying all service sheets are OK etc, which would be the safer choice, cheers.

Assuming used then it depends on age and service history. The multi-tronic had a reputation for being pretty weak but as you say later ones seem a lot better. I believe that the 3.0TDi however uses the s-tronic (DSG) automatic rather than the multi- or tip-tronic gearboxes. On the whole it's a pretty good gearbox, although not perfect. If buying used ensure that servicing has been carried out and you may want to look into a warranty that covers the auto just in case. That said they seem reasonably reliable these days so shouldn't be too much a of a problem.

Depending on age I found my 2009 A5 SB with the s-tronic could be a little on the dim side under certain circumstances when at junctions, most often when cruising to a stop and then accelerating quickly for a gap could cause a noticeable pause before things got sorted out, but you got used to it and could drive around it. Later ones may well be better, certainly on the S5 the s-tronic seems a lot sharper and it's never left me without power at all. Although once or twice it's slurred the change a bit (like slipping the clutch in a manual). Again, that's literally once or twice and under 'odd' circumstances - it's never left me mid junction or in a dangerous position, and markedly better than the one in my Sportback. Don't know if that is down to the engine/power delivery or just revisions to the DSG software.

When I was looking for a car I only ever wanted a manual. As I intended to remap it. Not sure how well an S-tronic would cope with 720Nm plus of torque.
The S-tronic gearboxes are great as long as they don't go wrong. If you are buying a car new and don't intend to remap it or keep it longer than 3 years, so it will always have a manufacturers warranty I would probably go S-tronic.Sensible driving and regular changes of oil and filters on the gearbox should hopefully keep it reliable in the long term.

All the 3 litre multitronics are front-wheel drive. Both automatics must have their gearbox oil changed every 40,000 miles - walk away or buy with warranty if the service history is not complete.
The multitronic was introduced in 2001 and by 2007 was not so fragile and much improved.

Hi, so what about the manual box in the 3lttdi the 2 actual cars I've narrowed my search down to are 2007 cars and have manual. Any info on the manuals. I've always had Audi cars and all with manual, had problems with dual mass flywheel on 1.8t A6 and juddery clutch on A4, cheers.

Whatever you have to spend a manual box it can't be as bad a £9,000 for an S-Tronic. I don't know about manual cars. My preference is to have a chat with the Master Tech at my local dealer.

When I had problems with my old TT DSG I was quoted ~£5,500 for replacement. I don't think they are as bad as £9k, although granted not cheap. Not sure what a manual gearbox is to replace either.

One last thing I think mine was probably part of the duff 3.2TT DSG mechatronic units, although I shifted the car on before finding out for sure. Since those ones I believe that they are more robust.

I can only repeat that you should get what you need. If you need an automatic because you can't stand using a manual in heavy traffic then get an auto. Don't buy a manual because that is the only type of 3 litre diesel you can afford.
Personally I would never drive a manual car out of choice (but do own a manual motorcycle).
The standard 10-speaker sound system is good but the Bose is better.
On the 2007-2008 models (or any with DVD-based rather than Hard-Disk Satnav) you will not get full postcodes, only the first 5 characters. So it may not be worth getting hung up on a SatNav model if you will need a TomTom anyway.
If you share the car with someone else regularly, then electric seats could be an asset - but they were an expensive option and hence difficult to find.

The things that I value on my car:
1) Automatic transmission
2) Electric Seats
3) DAB Radio
4) Xenons
I could manage without the other stuff that is on the car.

The three things that I would have liked on my car are
1) Hill-hold assist (applies the brakes for you without you having to apply the handbrake)
2) Bose
3) Adaptive Cruise Control

but I can get by perfectly well without them.

Hope this helps......

Last edited: