Auto-locking

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the auto-locking feature has changed a little with the latest models. On my previous 2004 model and on my new 2007 model, after the doors have auto-locked at 15mph, the will unlock when the key is taken out of the ignition. But if the doors have auto-locked and you stop to let a passenger out, on the 2004 model you had to pull the door handle twice, once to unlock the door and again to open it. On the 2007 model only a single pull of the handle is necessary.

This is much better because, unless the passenger was familiar with the car, they would pull the handle and nothing would happen and they would look at you wondering how to get out of the car and you would have to say, just pull it again and it will open. Now it just unlocks and opens in the one pull and the passenger is not confused. A small change but it works much better.

Just to fill in a gap in the timeline...
My March 2006 one works as for the 2007 model - one pull.

Ditto my June 2006. However, my wife's '04 Polo does require the two pull thing.

can you turn on auto locking or is it set at the factory??

Cooky

If your car didn't come with it then you can turn it on with Vag-Com.

:edit:

You should be able to turn it on with Vag-Com.

The passenger door on my 2007 opens with just one pull as well. My 2004 Ibiza was two pulls, was always very worrying when you saw the passenger pulling as hard as they could on the handle trying to open it, then the confusion when they let go and tried again and it opened straight away!

rich1068 said:
If your car didn't come with it then you can turn it on with Vag-Com.

:edit:

You should be able to turn it on with Vag-Com.

How do I do that mate? Would be handy to get it activated.

Cooky

yes this is better however, on 04 MY cars you 'could' have had it set to unlock automatically when you stop the engine and remove the key from the ignition - i had a 05 courtesy car that did this - i just never got round to getting mine changed before i got rid. I made sure when i got my new one at the beginning of march that they set it up like this in the first place- oh also had the security door unlocking deactivated - just want all doors to open on the button press not one for driver and two for passenger

john_cook said:
How do I do that mate? Would be handy to get it activated.

Just find someone with Vag-Com. A friend, a forum member in your area or an independent. You could ask the dealer but they'll charge you through the nose.

I got auto locking and the alarm beeps turned on for the Polo a couple of years ago when it was in for a service at my local VAG independent. No charge obviously because it takes seconds. When I asked my dealer about turning on the alarm beeps for the Audi they wanted to charge me half an hour's labour. ******** to that.

rich1068 said:
Just find someone with Vag-Com. A friend, a forum member in your area or an independent. You could ask the dealer but they'll charge you through the nose.

I got auto locking and the alarm beeps turned on for the Polo a couple of years ago when it was in for a service at my local VAG independent. No charge obviously because it takes seconds. When I asked my dealer about turning on the alarm beeps for the Audi they wanted to charge me half an hour's labour. ******** to that.

You can get alarm beeps??!! I need that