Auto Gearbox service?!

Richierich37

Reaction score
Would you recommend us getting this carried on on our 2012 '62' A5 3.0tdi with 47k miles?

IMG 7346

We've had the car from 8k miles and the previous keeper was Audi fleet?!

The reason I'm asking is that with 2 previous VW Passat CC's we had DSG metatronic failure after the boxes were serviced so I'm worried that something will go wrong!?

Is it a job for a good indy or Audi and what's the costs?

Cheers. R.....

The gearbox should be serviced every 39k.

Reactions: Richierich37
Yes,

Get it done, well worth it!

Audi DSG gearboxes need regular service. In order to have the oil changed IIRC the oil has to be drained, then a pressure bleeder connected to the gearbox, then oil is pumped into the gearbox and measured by computer via OBD or similar. Oil is filled to a certain level, all disconnected, car is then driven to get up to temperature, back on the ramps and reconnected up, more oil put in as necessary and then that's it all done.

A good Indy could do it, but it would need to be a good one who fully understands and has the equipment to do the job, it's not as simple as a manual gearbox of fill until it spills.

Cost, around £150 - £250 depending on where you get it done. Oil is around £100 alone, it's expensive stuff!

Yes,

Get it done, well worth it!

Audi DSG gearboxes need regular service. In order to have the oil changed IIRC the oil has to be drained, then a pressure bleeder connected to the gearbox, then oil is pumped into the gearbox and measured by computer via OBD or similar. Oil is filled to a certain level, all disconnected, car is then driven to get up to temperature, back on the ramps and reconnected up, more oil put in as necessary and then that's it all done.

A good Indy could do it, but it would need to be a good one who fully understands and has the equipment to do the job, it's not as simple as a manual gearbox of fill until it spills.

Cost, around £150 - £250 depending on where you get it done. Oil is around £100 alone, it's expensive stuff!

Hey pops,

Thanks! Our A5 is NOT a DSG it's a 8speed auto box?! I'm guessing it still should be serviced?

My bad, sorry, read that it was DSG,

In that case it's likely Audi will specify that it's a sealed unit and should never need servicing.

Personally, an oil service will do no harm providing you get the right oil. Speak to Opie oils (don't forget ASN discount) who will sort you out with the right gear and then you can get a good indy to service it. Should be a case of drop old oil and put new in. Job done, not a big job but make sure the right oil is used! That's pretty critical.

The only 8-speed auto box on the 3.0 TDi would be the Multitronic - and it definitely needs servicing.

The 3.0 BiTDi A7 has an 8-speed torque converter box but this engine was never fitted to the A5.

The only 8-speed auto box on the 3.0 TDi would be the Multitronic - and it definitely needs servicing.

The 3.0 BiTDi A7 has an 8-speed torque converter box but this engine was never fitted to the A5.

I thought the 3.0TDI had the Tiptronic?

That is classed as a sealed unit by Audi. Getting the oil and filter changed can be pricey...