Auto box, stuck in second

Gazzor

Reaction score
Hi guys, my 4 speed auto switchable box has developed a fault and won't change gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif if I manually select the gears I can get it to change into first but it won't change up any further than second, car is a 91 2.3e coupe, I know there is a ecu for the box and it seems like it is in a limp home mode, controlled by the ecu, are there any fuses or relays to check, also the sport button wasn't working to well so do you think it may be related to that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Gary

Yep the box has gone into limp mode. I would take it to someone with vagcom and see if you can get any info from the ECU. It could be as simple as a sensor failure to something a lot more serious. The sport button problem is probably coming from whatever is causing the limp home mode. if you have cruise control fitted you should find that it will not work either.

check oil and atf fluid levels, if any of those are low you will need to find out why urgently, ie don't leave it. also if you have to top either oil up get your oils from audi ONLY!!!! if you try to use any other makes you are likely to destroy the gearbox, especially the atf.

Do you know when last the box was serviced?

I changed the oil when I got it, used the stuff from euro car parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif it was fine but went in to the garage for a cold start problem and it took ages as it is a crossover model and had no wiring diagrams that were relevant so he worked blind, but he did say he found the ecu for the gearbox whilst he was looking for the injection ecu, so it sounds as if he has disturbed something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif he has said he will lokk at it for me but he is shut till the 4th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I will have a look if it ever stops raining,

cheers helpfull as ever

Gary