Auto box problem maybe not an auto box problem

IANF67

Reaction score
Hi folks I have an intermittent problem with my '04 3.0l b6 cabriolet but after reading a million articles on all the faults they have, I noticed that when it refuses to engage 1st gear when I press the accelerater there is no response at all the revs don't increase as you'd expect. I can tell when I'm goin to have a gearbox issue from start up. The engine runs rough sometimes and again with the box in'P' the the throttle has no affect on the revs. It's as though they're aren't enough revs to engage 1st rather that it being a auto box issue. Hope that made sense lol
any thought ???

cheers in advance

You need to scan for codes. Check to see if your brake lights are on when you aren't pressing the brake pedal, there is a switch on the brake pedal that fails and can stop you revving.

Thanks next time it starts up rough I'll check the brake lights. Been tryin to find somewhere cheap near little borough to get it plugged in. My local auto electrician only has a genetic diagnostic. Could the engine having a fault affect the box though ??

but sometimes the break lights done come on even if the switch is playing up
so best off to scan

Thanks next time it starts up rough I'll check the brake lights. Been tryin to find somewhere cheap near little borough to get it plugged in. My local auto electrician only has a genetic diagnostic. Could the engine having a fault affect the box though ??
Have you tried the VCDS map here on the forum to see if there is a member near you that could scan it for you?

Sorry for my ignorance but where do I find them ??

Wow would you believe there's a member about 45 seconds up the road from me. Thanks folks I'll keep you informed