1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi's stance on re-coding

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by iwBen, Sep 16, 2010.

1. iwBen

iwBen Be Gentle

Hey guys, not sure if this has been mentioned before but thought I would share a little info I've picked up from East Kent Audi.

As far as re-coding goes, not long ago dealerships in the UK were issued a directive from Audi HQ stating that OEM modules such as the RNS-E and Bluetooth units (and presumably the likes thereof) are blacklisted as unsuitable for fitting after rolling off the factory floor. When a car is brought in for any service or check up work they usually hook it up to their systems to read off the codes and such - and the way they are meant to do it involves relaying that information back to servers in Germany, which then check the coding against the factory specification of the vehicle. If it shows different coding, it is designed to automatically reset all the coding to factory settings, which will of course result in loss of functions.

The service manager I was speaking to told me that there is fortunately a way around it for them where they can manually check fault codes using other equipment and ignore their standard procedures, but those methods are meant for times when they are experiencing technical difficulties, and they usually end up getting a slap on the wrist for doing thing like that.

So I was told that if I had anything done to make sure I mention it to the service guys before they start. Would be great if someone could confirm this for anyone else who may have recently had work done and be going in for a service sometime soon!
  2. auroan

auroan Active Member

Well mine has been in to York Audi twice... one a warrenty job and one a service. I have Cruise, RNS-e, factory towbar ecu and fiscon which all needed me to code the car with VCDS. All my retro fits were done before the car visited Audi and all have worked fine after I've recieved the car back.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  3. iwBen

iwBen Be Gentle

Ok, sounds a bit hit and miss then. Before I understood that they might do the odd update on the rare occasion, but was told today that it was scanned every time. Something to keep an eye out for but not break a sweat over :) Thanks for the confirmation!
  4. dantdi

dantdi ...

East Kent Audi are useless! I've always found them very unhelpful.
  5. iwBen

iwBen Be Gentle

Yeah tell me about it. I was all geared up for buying a 2010 car from them... you know, until I actually went in and spoke to someone.

Would rather drive another 40 miles than use them again! Anyway, just thought I'd pass on the info in case the rules had changed/become more strict or something :)
  6. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

This isnt true at all Ben, so dont worry when we sort you out unless they have to reload a module completely then they wont recode anything, anyway anything changed by audi can be changed back with vcds on 99.99999% of cases when coding modules.
  7. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

I've a few alterations to my car that could confuse VAS though not to extent as NHN's LOL
  8. iwBen

iwBen Be Gentle

Good good, thanks for the clarification! NHN, you've got PMs :)
  9. NHN

This is true more than you know lol

Sorry mate little new born has had me on my toes today lol, I'll have a looksy now if thats ok.
  10. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

Have you ANY original modules?
  11. NHN

Urrmmmmm, ecu, abs & climate, rest is not afaik, lmfao.
  12. iwBen

iwBen Be Gentle

Ah that's ok, didn't realise. Congratulations! Every diaper is a wonderful joyful gift, every cackle and burp is pure poetic genius and all that - heard it all from friends and colleagues...
    ... won't pretend to understand it, but I know the drill :p

Buzz me back when the little one runs out of fuel and conks out for a bit :D
  13. NHN

No disrespect, but until you actually have your own kid, you wont be even close to knowing the drill, trust me as I was like this, now I'm fxcked. :)
  14. iwBen

iwBen Be Gentle

Haha well I meant I've been putting up with blubbering co-workers for a few months, so I know that a new parent's brain instantly turns to in-cohesive lovey-dovey mush :D

I'll hang on to a good few years of freedom yet myself - should probably learn to look after myself before taking on that kind of responsibility.

Kudos all the same buddy, 'tis a beautiful thing.