Audi's so called 12 year corrosion warranty

stevenbeedie

Reaction score
18 months ago I had a some corrosion appearing, not a problem I called Audi and the fixed it in no time at all. Now other parts are corroding, front and rear wheel arches and the drivers door. Not a problem I thought as the warranty will cover it as before.
Prior to taking it to Audi I went past a few independant body shops and all of them said they had never seen it as bad as this before and it is definatly a problem with the car body.
Called Audi and they told me to take it to their body shop. I told them I had taken it round some independant body shops and they all told me it is a problem with the car. His reply was they can not tell what the cause is with out doing tests on the paint and that it is more likely to be from stone chips.

Took it up to the Body shop that does the work for Audi and before he even got right up to the car he told me there is a common problem with the inner plastic wheel arch cover, it rubs on the lip of the wheel arch and wears away the zinc protective layer exposing the steel. He asked if it had a full Audi service history and when I told him I do not get Audi to service it he told me Audi will not do anything. (Note: no tests on the paint)
A couple days later Audi UK called me and told me the claim was rejected because I am not loyal to Audi, I thought this was strange as I have had an Audi for the past 10 years, he explained I did not buy the car through an Audi dealer and do not get it serviced by Audi therefore I am not loyal. If I did get it serviced by Audi they would have done regular inspections on the body and repaired the corrosion when they noticied it. I tried to explain the fact that Audi inspected it 18 months ago with a similar problem which is sooner than if it was on a long life service. This was blanked. He obviously did not have a answer for this.
I told him what the body shop said and he started to get annoyed that they had told me this. I also told him that the car has a 12 year warranty and it does not make a difference if I buy or get it serviced from Audi. I also mentioned that it is against the law to force customers to get their car serviced by the manufacturer. He then goes and tells me the car has a 4 year paint warranty and it would not be covered. Don't know what part of corrosion he did not understand.

As I was getting no where I asked him for the inspection report on why the claim has been rejected, he advised that Audi do not give out reports and if I wanted a report I would have to go to the body shop. I was getting a bit annoyed at this point. I told him Audi gives the warranty not the body shop and it is Audi's responsibility to explain why the claim is rejected. His reply to this was Audi has not inspected the car so can not give a report. I told him to take my car but apparantly they do not do any inspections!!!
After telling him again that it is Audi's responsibility he told me I was talking to the wrong people 'we are Audi Uk and your car was built by Audi Germany'. He then had the cheek to tell me the case will now be closed.

Basically if you do not buy the car from an Audi dealer and get it serviced by Audi the warranty is worth nothing.

If this was any other industry they would be out of bussiness by now.

I believe Audi's are better than other German cars but needless to say after this I won't be getting another.:noway:

id get some advice from citizen advice as im sure they can not do that.

Been on the phone to complain, ended up speaking to the same guy again and it turns out that it was 'good will' work from Audi that was rejected because I am not a so called loyal customer, not the warranty claim. Still waiting for a valid reason as to why the claim has been rejected under the warranty.

oh so its not just me having these issues then! My car has been audi serviced right up to 70k and only the last two have been elsewhere... This is not loyal apparently...

imagine if you return a faulty product to Tesco... "I am sorry Mr Chris, we cannot help you.. you also shop at Asda...."

I am getting very wound up - try and get someone to actually get you the terms of the warranty... good luck!!!

Its not just audi , most if not all manufacturers will tell you the same the car should have been paint inspected by the dealers within an inspection routine
wrong or not thats the way it is
you will find if you read the small print of the warranty this is made clear
im not condoning this by the way just pointing out its not just an audi thing its all over the board of manufacturers .

You will get nowhere, only litigation will make them consider carefully otherwise they are judge and jury, witness Toyota and the accelerator. Audis equivalent is the frozen brake servo due to plenum drains, they must be worried now. As said they are all the same and block exemption is there worst nightmare. How can they offer lower priced work to older cars out the warranty without the work at a higher rate on newer cars being at least anti competitive behaviour. VW got done for anti competition in the past controlling imports and they wouldnt like it again. Whats needed is an aggrieved lawyer to take them on, the rest of us unfortunately can go swivel.

I am not using Audi Main Dealer servicing for my nearly 7 year old car - even IF they charge cheaper rates for cars in excess of 3 years old.....and as for OEM parts, one of my rear ABS rings broke off the hub....a new OEM hub = £150, one I sourced from a supplier in Brum...£38...(the non OEM part has a 2 yr warranty which suits me as I only intend keeping car for another 18 months)...Volkservice in Blackpool fitted it for £110...half the labour that would of been charged by a Main Dealer....

I'm having a similar issue with my S4.
I took it in to the dealer 2 years ago(2009) for surface rust on the door and they did not want to fix it because it ws not perforated. I left it like this. This year (2011) it is perforated. Audi has rejected the claim stating I did not take care of it and it was caused by outside infleunce and they only cover rust starting from the inside out. The rust is at the bottom left of the drivers door. In 2010(january) they tried to steal the car and drilled a hole near the door handle...no where near the rust...this is the outside infleunce.

Plesae note: the trunk is also showing signs of rust near the license plate.

I'm having a similar issue with my S4.
I took it in to the dealer 2 years ago(2009) for surface rust on the door and they did not want to fix it because it ws not perforated. I left it like this. This year (2011) it is perforated. Audi has rejected the claim stating I did not take care of it and it was caused by outside infleunce and they only cover rust starting from the inside out. The rust is at the bottom left of the drivers door. In 2010(january) they tried to steal the car and drilled a hole near the door handle...no where near the rust...this is the outside infleunce.

Plesae note: the trunk is also showing signs of rust near the license plate.

This must be a common problem, as you have explained the exact same two places where mine is rusting too..

Audi UK Close the case as i was not brand loyal.