1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi's hard to work on?

Layerz Nov 13, 2007

1. Layerz

Layerz Member

This is just a bit of a general thread but I have started to notice a few things with Audi's or perhaps more specifically the B5

They are a pain in the ass to work on!

I just wondered others peoples thought/opinions on them as a car to work on and I would like too point out this may be my inexperiance with cars as I only really started working on them with this car last year.
    But before this I had a peugoet 306 and I know they have things go wrong more often, but the bits to work on were a piece of cake.
    Thus far I have found most bits on the A4 taking a 2nd look every time and having a little difficaulty with the jobs, I have been able to get everyjob done......bar getting the front bumper off. I have just found them fiddly and tonight got a bit fed up with not being able to get to the sidelights!

As I have said I know alot of this is down to my inexperiance, and places like these forums help me no end, but I work on friends cars and I find parts just bolt on a piece of cake.

All that being said and done, I still love my car and find it punches well above its fighting weight and even with the odd niggles I love to find a good B road.

2. macca

macca Member

engine wise they are really easy as the whole front can be taken off the car in a few minutes, bumpers easy, front suspension is a pain in the ****, took me 5 hours to do a pair of coilovers compared with normally an hour on a mitsibushi evo. must admit if i did it again it wouldn't take me so long.

overall i like them, everything comes apart without too much fuss.

3. A4NA18

A4NA18 Member

Lucky you!

If only I knew what to do in case of Cr@ps happening to my car....

I never took the bumper off nor anything else for that matter.

Oh, hang on, I took out the head light bulbs once.

4. macattax

macattax Member

This forum and a haynes manual will get you all the info you will need.
    I find all Audis are straightforward to work on when you know what you have to do.
    But this like I said use this forum and a haynes manual and you will seldom go wrong after you have done a job once you should be able to do it again in a lot less time like macca said coz you know what you are doing.

5. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

I find that the my audi is fine to work on once you know where stuff is. The interior is a pain so many clips and screws holding stuff together compaired to my old 205 gti. But its basically down to a better built car. I would rather it took ages to strip stuff off and replace knowing the car is better built. The pug i could have the full interior out minus the dash in less then 30 mins.

6. Hairy Ballbag

Hairy Ballbag Member

Anything you have to plug a computer into annoys me...

Pre 1980 is the way forwards.

No, pre '72 actually - no road tax, cheap insurance, most construction and use laws don't apply, you can fix anything for a score and... no ECUs!