1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi's Engines

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Models' started by amoffat, Mar 12, 2003.

1. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Mar 12, 2003]
    Why do Audi struggle to compete on performance with BMW? For example look at the 2.5 and 3.0 litre petrol engines. The 330Ci will do 0-60 in 5.9 secs and then onto a limited 155mph, its a different story in the A4 3.0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. The same comparison can be made with the A4 2.4 and the 325i.

It makes me mad. With the diesels, it is a similar story: the 2.5V6 TDi Vs the 330d and the 19.TDi (130) Vs the 320d /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

At least the 1.8T is quick... not that it sounds very good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Mar 13, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    S4 old and new engines are powerful and torquey

[/ QUOTE ]
    Compare the engines! 3.2 6 cylinder normally aspirated Vs 4.2 V8 !!!! Bit of a difference there and the S4 is still slower.

I think BMW can sit back and think "our engines don't need to be tuned" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I do think that Audi are targetting a slightly different market. IMO handling such as BMW Vs Audi is fairly irrelevant in the *real* world, off the track. The S4 probably drives nicer than the M3 on most roads that it will be used on, but on a track the M3 will whoop it.

Am I talking **** here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  4. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Mar 13, 2003]
    Don't think you are talking **** Moff. I think a car like the M3 is more driver focused, and perhaps better on a track. But I don't know, not driven one, but would like to! :)

Think the S4 is/will be, like the S3, a great allrounder. OK-ish handling whatever the weather. I think most people would struggle with an M3 with weather in this country. Wonder how DHA is getting on with his?

AL
  5. gtdog

gtdog Member

[Mar 13, 2003]
    Sadly I couldnt agree more.
    When I changed the 80tdi estate, I looked long and hard at quicker Audis, the S2 avant and the A4 2.8 Quattro Avant.
    The S2 realy disapointed me, sure in its day it was a good car, but by todays standards...? The 2.8 A4 felt lifeless, the stering was realy vague, and the engine just felt bland even compared to wifeys old Mk3 VR6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I test drove a 328i touring, and bought it. It handled crisply, with the esc turned on it out handled the pair of Audis, and I could feel the road through the wheel. I wish it had been an Audi, I realy do. I have had 4 audis in a row, and love the marque, but until they build a car with feeling for the driver, I shall drink from the other cup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Ok (flame proof pants time) a turbo Audi can be tuned to fly, with wheel, tyre and geometry mods they can handle well to. I cant afford/ dont want to modify any more, if I want a fast car I buy one.
  6. amoffat

amoffat Member

[Mar 13, 2003]
    Lets please exclude the fantastic AMG engines from that line-up... they are amazing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
  7. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Mar 14, 2003]
    I wasn't including AMG or even the M-tech engines in my opinions, the standard BMW engine is just fine for perforamnce and refinement.

I feel that Audi sit between Mercedes and BMW in regard to Chassis and Engines IMO.