Audi, VW and Apple announce iPod integration

Rankrotten

Reaction score
Announced today and arriving later this year are official Apple approved factory options for iPod integration in Audi and VW cars

"Apple today announced it has teamed up with Acura, Audi, Honda and Volkswagen to deliver iPod integration with their car stereos for 2006 model lines. Seamless integration of iPods in cars allows music lovers to enjoy high-quality sound through their car's stereo system, easily access their entire music library and take their music with them everywhere they go. Apple said that there are now 15 car companies around the world offering iPod integration, and more than 5 million cars will ship with iPod support in the US in 2006."

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipodyourcar/

Hopefully we will get full integration with the RNS-E display and steering wheel controls.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

If you follow the links and have a look at Mini for example, it looks like an ICE>Link with the connector on the glovebox rather than a cradle type. Not much detail other than you can control it through the stereo and it powers/recharges the iPod. Sounds like an ICE>Link to me.

yeah must be something lick ice link, I think it's got back to the manufacturers how many people are doing this at the after market stage, plus you've got BMW with their 1 series offering it.

well I saw that Apple were promoting Icelink on their UK site......so more than likley the same thing and they pay a licence to rebrand it as their own

They're so on top of things aren't they!!

In the week I read in the press that Ipod's have had there day and why would people want a MP3 player to carry and a phone (integrated is the future), VAG annouce they'll cater for them. Round of applause for leading the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

p.s. I've had a 1Gb MP3 player in my phone for ages. Why is the world only just catching up?

My mate just bought an Ipod Nano last nite

ooooohhhh eeeeeerrrrrr its so cool i want one !!!! hahahahaah
so so small its shocking and a colour screen !
Girlfriend will kill me if i buy one as itll be another gone from possible Xmas pressies so im gonna have to resist

they so cool tho - i imagine dension will make a tiny cradle to fit it in about 2years.........as on the mark as ever....

(Apple dont seem to eb selling Ipod mini anymore - gone from their site)

[ QUOTE ]

(Apple dont seem to eb selling Ipod mini anymore - gone from their site)

[/ QUOTE ]

There were 100s of them for sale in the Apple shop in Bluewater on Monday.

i can imagine the mini being dropped for the nano.

i'm going to be ditching my alpine ipod controller for one of these i hope

pic.jpg

Clicky

November 2005... where do I sign?

My only concern is how I connect it to my head unit? I've heard bad things about the FM transmitter, so can I hard wire it to the HU?

Kev.

i think so. we shall see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i can imagine the mini being dropped for the nano.

i'm going to be ditching my alpine ipod controller for one of these i hope

[/ QUOTE ]

Having been an ICE>link user and now moved to Alpine, I can't see me changing for a while... but that does look the nads.

Minis have officially been dropped in favour of nanos by Apple...