1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi UK Will not warranty turbo failure on S4

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by ZeroK66, Oct 22, 2006.

1. ZeroK66

ZeroK66 Member

Hi Guys,

Well some of you may be aware of this having seen posts elsewhere...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=28283

I searched forever for a low miler S4... FINALLY found one at a dealership and I bought it. The car was chipped, but I clarified with them the mods would not invalidate the warranty, course they ensured me it would not. I recorded my conversation...

6 months later I have a turbo going. Quoted 3.5k privately to repair... dealerships wont touch it. Took it up with Audi CS, they said no. Went to the top of audi CS (Mr Tom Peterkin) he refused to speak with me. Then went to Jeremy Hicks Director of Audi UK, he did write back, but again refused to help. The dealership I bought the car from has been sold, so I cant go back to them. This my friends is how we are treated as Audi Approved Used car customers. Audi's response was that each Audi centre opperates in its own right and this is NOT BACKED BY AUDI. So WTF is the point of having Audi Centres and "Audi Approved" used cars?? A load of ****. I will be getting my story out to as many magazines out there as I can because this is simply out of order!!

Now I have the pleasure of spending 3.5k+ on a repair myself and being without a car now for 5 weeks (and another 2 while it is repaired).

Cheers,
    Leon

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 quattro

Leon, thats terrible mate. I didn't realise they could be so stuborn !!
    Keep at them mate,there has to be someone that will help

4. shark_90

shark_90 Member

Not being funny, but Audi state that they won't honour warranty on anything possibly caused by a modification. If the dealer agreed that they would.. then that's up to them, but if they DID process a warranty claim and your car is modified, then they're technically defrauding Audi UK.

So either way, I'm afraid you're likely to be fecked.

Best of luck with it.

5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Also on a car older than 3 years the warranty is nothing to do with Audi, it'll be a 3rd party warranty bought through the dealership, so I would go after whoever holds the warranty they sold you.
    £3.5k for a new turbo!! That seems well over the top? I'd expect to pay about £1200 fitted, tops.

6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 quattro

Its engine out on the S4 isnt it?

7. ZeroK66

ZeroK66 Member

Indeed... 20 hours labour + £2k on turbos from a stealer £900 ea from vagparts... they both have to be replaced.

While I understand that it is the dealerships fault, I went out searched for an Audi approved used car, and was supplied one by an Audi approved dealership. The fact that the dealership fed me false information is not my problem. Audi should police their dealers and when they slip up should be willing to help out THEIR customers.

8. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Is it the chip that's the problem or would they have weaselled out of it even if it had been standard?
    If it's the chip then I doubt you have a leg to stand on unless you have it in writing from the dealer that it's covered with chip. Obviously chipping a bi-turbo will shorten the life of the turbo's so I'd be very surprised if they'd documented that it was covered regardless of chip.
    Just typical of waranties IMO. The one time you really need it for that big feckoff bill and they'll do anything to weasel out of it.

9. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

Could you not just buy a 3rd party warrenty and try using that??

Get a mate who has garage to put it through for you.

It would be worthwhile and just get the standard map put back on it.

10. smitch

smitch Active Member

While I understand that it is the dealerships fault, I went out searched for an Audi approved used car, and was supplied one by an Audi approved dealership. The fact that the dealership fed me false information is not my problem. Audi should police their dealers and when they slip up should be willing to help out THEIR customers.[/quote]

I don't think the chip has got anything to do with it, it's just the age of the car so the dealer probably wasn't lying to you.

There's just got to be a cut off point somewhere and in fairness to them it is a six year old vehicle.

I'm not saying it's fair, but then again life usually isn't............:keule:

11. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

I am with Soupie try pricing a warranty with 3rd party company. But check there isnt a grace period that you cant make a claim.

12. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi S4

You posted this the other day, didn't you? Did you see the reply I posted? It doesn't matter if the supplying dealer has changed hands since. When one business buys another, it acquires its assets and its liabilties.

If you have got proof that the supplying dealer made a representation on which you relied when you decided to buy the car, the new owner may be deemed bound by that representation in court.

13. Actiondan

Actiondan New Member

I have a similar problem; I have an AUDI A4 1.9TDI 53 Plate.

I dropped it of at Audi in Chesterfield for an Aircon fault, it took them 3 weeks to fix, while it was with AUDI the warranty ran out on the vehicle I went to collect the car and the central locking would not work. They told me water had got into the ECU causing the central locking not to work correctly.
    They contacted me 3 days later to tell me it was all sorted except the AIR BAG light was staying on for 10 minuets then going off but because the car had been chipped they would not cover this as it needed a new Dash and ECU as some information had got corrupt between the dash computer and the ECU, This work would cost £1200 + Labour.

So basically I dropped my car off with one fault and it came back with another two

Does any one know if having a chip on a car would cause the AIRBAG Light to be affected or is AUDI trying to have me over? They new the car was chipped how can they opt in and out of warranty doing one job but refusing another at will

Has anyone any ideas

Thanks

Dan

14. ZeroK66

ZeroK66 Member

Hi jdp - apparently not. I wish this was the case. I mean the guy who sold me the car, and all the staff are based at the new dealership, so they SHOULD offer to help out, but of course it true Audi style they wont. Its sickening.

I will be going to Germany with this.

ActionDan - I would take this up wtih Audi UK customer services. All the best though... as you can see they are just not willing to help anyone. They are simply not interested in ensuring their customers receive the level of service they deserve.

I wont own another Audi, my family wont own an Audi, close friends & colleagues will not own an Audi, my kids wont own an Audi... so on and so forth... ultimately they loose because they cannot manage their own & look after their customers.

15. enda1

enda1 Member

Since March 2003 - and the EU Sale of Goods Directive 1999/44/EC, superseeding the Sale of Goods Act - the responsibility for a car with faults was shifted squarely onto the shoulders of the dealer during the crucial first six months of ownership.
    Essentially, a dealer has to prove that any fault did not exist at the time of the sale. That's difficult, and it is no surprise that dealers don't highlight the consumer's rights.
    So I'd quote this to them and next thing is to get a solicitors letter off to them.
    The age of the car is irrelevant as they presented the car for sale and must stand over any faults that occur

16. docurley

docurley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And it would be hard pushed for them to say the chip blew up the turbo as there must have been a fault with it in the first place as many a car is chiped and I don't know of one car that blew up because of the chip only that the fault was there to start with.

17. ZeroK66

ZeroK66 Member

That is awesome thanks Edna... but where would this lie then... with the dealership that has now been sold and does not exist, or Audi UK? That is the problem I have. Effectively its the dealers problem to sort. I have come to an arrangement with the group CEO that USED to own the Audi Franchise when I bought the car to cover 1k of labour. Still does not cover a 4k bill, but offers me flexibility in where the work is done and exactly what is done.