1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi thinking of building a Q3 RS

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by h5djr, Apr 18, 2012.

1. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

Items in this week's Auto Express and on the following US website both give deatils of a new Audi Q3 RS that is being considered for production. It has a 2.5 litre 355hp TFSI engine and 20" wheels, 7-speed s-tronic and quattro drive train. It is being shown for the first time at the Beijing Motor Show later this month. There are a number of pictures on the website.

Audi RS Q3 concept revealed ahead of Beijing

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

You almost get the feeling every manufacturer has a `Niche Comittee` sitting round saying

" Right Lads! Listen up, dont worry if it makes sense or whether we need it, lets make something no one else has, and with some clever marketing convince some tasteless wannabe wags they NEED it for the school run...."
    What next? A 15 wheeler canoe with a PRADA steering wheel that runs on BBQ lighter fluid?

We already have enough pointless stuff with BMWs X1 and X6, and whatever.....

Genius.

Hurumph.:motz:

4. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

Fair play to Audi I say... It's only a pointless model if you don't want or like it... If you do want one though I think it looks pretty good!!

5. brough74

brough74 Member

Not bad but i would still rather have an evoque

6. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

it looks ok but i just dont get it...

that being said i :wub: the cluster

[​IMG]

7. Brodster

Brodster Well-Known Member
    Team Ibis VCDS Map User Audi Avant Owner Group Audi S4

Anyone remember the Evolution Mitsubishi Shogun 4x4:think: My mate had one........insane 4x4 kicking out mad bhp, huge wheels and bodykit.

Here's one

[​IMG]

8. Ads

Ads License to drive

That's obviously a chinese knock-off. :detective2:

9. Ads

Ads License to drive

"Errrmmm.. excuse me Mr. Audi Niche Comittee leader, but......"

[​IMG]

And then....

[​IMG]

10. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

The marketing department at Audi milking more goodwill from the RS badge to ensure people who make purchases based on 'lifestyle' or 'brand image' are even more well catered for.

I suppose when you look at it, this vehicle isn't really an off-roader, and it's not really and 'RS' per say. So it's an RS3 on stilts with a bit more boot space and ground clearance for people who like to look down on the hoi polloi from their drivers seats. Something to sooth the egos of people whose insecurities on the road see them needing to encase themselves in a small tank but retain the right badge on the tailgate to ensure the rest of us are aware of their desired standing in the pecking order of society. Half of the people who buy these won't even realise there are 5 cylinders under the bonnet, let alone where the bonnet release handle is located. They will know where Waitrose and the nearest Jack Wills outlet store is.

I think it's a huge shame that the RS today is more about pecking order and badge than it is about technical excellence or extremes. These cars are no longer the pinnacle of anything as they're predominantly built for people who value some comfort and convenience over a balls out / hairs stand up on the back of your neck driving experience. I went in an RS2 recently and it was astonishing how much more visceral and connected it is that the latest RS6 which is just a nice fast barge.

I couldn't believe it when BMW put the M badge on a pretend off-roader, but supposedly it has been a commercial success so all I can assume is that the buying public believe these swiss army knife vehicles are a good thing.

Coming to a school run near you soon... Would I buy one with my own money, I'd rather use my gonads as space hoppers.

11. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

another stupid and pointless SUV.... its neither sporty or off road.... cant justify building such a cars nowdays where money are tough, petrol prices go constantly up so is insurance and so...

12. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

You reasons for not building it are related to the UK. The main market for this car will be China and the USA where SUVs are much more popular than they are in the UK. Audi has also just announced that it is going to build a new factory in Mexico to produce " a new SUV" presumably for the US market.

If you read the article you will see that the Q3 RS only a 'concept' at this stage. Audi has not said whether they are actually going to make it or if they going to market the it in the UK or even Europe. I'm sure their market research people have done their homework in their intended markets and feel that is worth building the concept car to see if there is enough interest for it to go into production.

#11 h5djr, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  13. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Booooooost
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User Gold Supporter

A company? Trying to make money? Outrageous!!! Sure, it's stupid and pointless, and waters down the brand to "purists", but they'll sell plenty of the odd things, and they'll make plenty of money off it too.

Also this:

#12 MartayMcFly, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  14. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

Nar wor kid, that would be the RS Q7 man.

The RS Q3 has a new space all to itself. Just what we needed.

15. Ads

Ads License to drive

I thought that and you are right, but just for comedy value lets pretend it works. ;)

16. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator

It still looks like an overweight RS3.

With the German car builders covering off each others every move as long as the public are idiots they will need to build cars for idiots.

17. S.

S. Well-Known Member
    Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group quattro Audi S3 Manual

interior is sweet!
    would love that steering wheel for my s3, and carbon mirror covers...
    but to me it's a sin to put that engine in the suv...

18. quattro81

quattro81 All the gear.. No idea

Ive just sold mine last week! It was epic! Although was actually a homologated rally jeep..
    Here's mine :( starting to regret getting rid of her already

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And it was even stevens on speed with my 2011 TFSI S-TRonic.. EPIC in the snow!

19. quattro81

That was a true off-road Paris-Dakar Jeep.. These new ones are utterly pointless IMHO, theyre like that stupid Hummer in the Pixar "Cars" film.. "But I've never been off-road before".. It's like buying a hammer to bang in screws:tocktock:

20. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

Affirmative:happy:

21. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator

OMG, a jeep that is offroad. Now that is a proper jeep, not a limp wristed kerb climber. Respect from me, Mitsubishi can always be relied on to do proper extreme cars.

22. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  23. quattro81

You say that, Warren.. But the guy that bought it took my lovely custom-made compomotive raid wheels off, and put the stupid 20" road alloys and tyres back on it so it looks like a roller-skate like the silver one @brodster posted above.. He said he actually preferred it with the 20's:faint:
    I guess it's had it's fun doing what it was intended for, and now it is resigned to going back to being a "limp-wristed kerb climber" again, as you so aptly put it (btw that term is now replacing "Chelsea tractor" in my repertoire for insulting the school run muppets!)