Audi stockport

panamadi

Strider
Reaction score
hi guys
just had an absolute nightmare
basically i took the car in to the above stealers to invetigate clutch judder ( for which offered to pay to have rectified if necessary). To all intents and purposes it sounds like all they did was drive it round the block a few times wihout any further investigation-they then reported back to me that its all fine and that was that.

In the meantime they gave me a courtesy car which on my return they say now has a scratch on the bumper but I know full well that I didn't hit, bump, scratch or scrape anything-I only had it 24 hours!!
They are insisting it wasn't there before and that 'someone could have hit me in the car park' and that I'm now liable to pay a £250 excess, which understandably I'm not too happy about.
What are my options because like an idiot I didn't check the car when it was first given to me and i know that when it was given to me it was a monday morning, they were busy and I bet the inspection wouldn't have been as thorough.
Any ideas on my options guys?

Thanks

Sounds like you're getting robbed. Ask for documentation showing that the scratch was not there previously. ie an inspection before the car was handed to you

Yes I agree. Usually they inspect it before and after it goes out so even if they didnt have one done for you, there should be one from the last person. Be polite but stand your ground. Good luck

Agree also.

They should have an in and out sheet, they should have given you opportunity to inspect the car and informed you of any previous damage on the car, without this is falls down to your word against there's, it could have happened in there carpark the morning they gave it to you otherwise!

Polite but firmly standing your ground is the way to go. Do not give them information just rebut anything they say and ask them to produce documented proof that the scratch occurred whilst you had the car. If they show you some vehicle handover documentation with a drawing of a car and no marks highlighted where the sractch is, just rebut this as not proof that the scratch occurred whilst you had the car. It just means that whoever inspected the car just before it was handed to you did not see it at that time. They say the scratch could have happened whilst you had the car adn it was in a car park. Equally it could happen when they had the car, prior or after giving it to you.

As you are on the forum one must assume you have left the Dealer without paying the excess. It maybe worth advising your credit card company of the dispute and making it clear that you have not authorised any payments to that company and any attempt by the company to charge you should be rejected. They may offer soem advice.

As always with these things; take notes with date, time and who you spoke to, keep the notes and confim things in nice friendly emails.

Good luck and keep us posted

I would also not mention wanting to see paperwork on previous checks over the phone...too easy to quickly put a mark on the paperwork before you get there! just a thought, not saying they would, but you never know. Do it all in person.

Thanks loads for the advice.
The only documentation I have is the one you mention that has a drawing of the car with no marks highlighted etc but you're right it could easily have happened even in the period it was parked in the Audi car park.Who's liable then?
Basically its been left as 'someone wil phone you tomorrow'-they have their car and I have mine. I am just going to politely refuse to pay anything
Just kicking myslef for not walking round the car before collecting it?
To make matters worse ther'e DEFINITELY scratches on my rear bumper that weren't there before-I just couldn't be doing with stomping back into ther dealership saying 'well YOU'VE scratched MY car'-would almost seem an admission of guilt for them.
Honestly its an absolute joke that they're supposed to be a 'premium brand' dealership! The service is a joke-too many details regarding this last encounter to list!

I would also not mention wanting to see paperwork on previous checks over the phone...too easy to quickly put a mark on the paperwork before you get there! just a thought, not saying they would, but you never know. Do it all in person.

If they put a mark on the paper S.....it would show the mark was already there :laugh:

Hello, new here but I'd suggest with phones having cameras etc, take close pictures before you sign anything, I always do that now, they don't have a leg to stand on... :)