Audi Stealers Oil

gaz_hughes

GumbyGaz
Reaction score
HI,

Decided this weekend would be oil change day, so popped down to my local dealer in stafford to get some oil, filter & plug. The bloke went off into the back, comes back out with filter and plug and just before he was about to get the oil he informs me that the total cost will be £86.23 !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Obviously my reaction was "Your havin' a laugh", strangely he wasn't?? The oil was going to cost £16 per litre!!! So £80 for the oil alone.
Asked him whats with the 5x price hike, he went on to explain that they now only stock Shell oil and Audi are changing thier whole range of oils?
So told him in so many words that'll I'll go to VW and get the oil I need at the £25 i'm used too, and he said "nope they wont have any either"
Needless to say, VW did have the oil! The bloke at VW, after I told him what Audi said, didn't have a clue where this had come from they still stocked the same oils at the usual prices.

Anybody else had any bizarre oil price hikes?? They can't honestly think they can get away with charging £80 for oil? Madness! No matter how much i tried to ask the bloke at Audi if he was making a mistake, he stuck firm on his inital price!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'd heard the usual trick was to charge the 1litre container price on servicing - i.e. 5 * 1 litre rather than 1 * 5 litre. This one sounds like a new con.

Audi say their oil is "special oil". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif! If you know what type to buy, get it from Halfords and save yourself a packet!

[ QUOTE ]
Audi say their oil is "special oil". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif! If you know what type to buy, get it from Halfords and save yourself a packet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, good idea...

Alternatively bin the extended servicing completely (I would never run a chipped S3 engine that get's that hot, and gets used hard) on the same oil for more than a year anyway.

You can change the oil twice a year, including a new oil filter and sump plug washer, for the price of Audi's silly oil.
...and that's using a fully synthetic oil.

I ran Synta Gold in mine, changed it every 6 months...and I was much more comfortable with that.

As Grant says...pop to Halfords and pick up some 'special offer' oil and change it often...better protection and less cost.
Win-win?
I think so...

I would not personally use Halfords oil, although it might meet the SJ specs etc its just not as good as some of the branded oils

we use and supply Silkoline Pro 5-40 for most of our road and track performance engines... Owners report less oil usage, better temperature handling, quieter running etc etc. We have even seen a performance increase using this over some of the poorer oils.

and 5 ltrs is only £39!!!!! and this is top stuff!

the only thing we sell that is more expensive is Motul oil and that is not even £80 a service...

Andy
GDI

[ QUOTE ]
I would not personally use Halfords oil, although it might meet the SJ specs etc its just not as good as some of the branded oils

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't use Halfords oil either.

But I would pop in and pick up something suitable from whatever is on offer at the time - as I suggested.

You can get many suitable non-longlife oils cheap, if you shop about.

The Synta Gold stuff is approx £30 for 5 litres...and it's done my last 4 road and track cars just fine...

"total cost will be £86.23 !!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"

looking forward to my service soon my dealers Listers as well

Last time i supplied my own Castrol Oil to audi.

Ill probably do the same again.