Audi servicing is confusing as hell

1inchpunch

Reaction score
I'm really confused by Audi servicing. My car is just about to hit 70k miles and since it's not had the timing belt done I decided to put it in and get a service done at the same time.

Going by the book this will be the cars 4th service. The last one was at 54k ish last October and was a long life service. I normally get cars serviced every year or 12k miles but as you can see I've gone over that this time. The book says the service isn't due until the car asks for it and according to the DIS it's got 3200 miles to go before it needs some TLC. That would be 19k miles between services which seems high to me.

I guess the long and short of it is.... should I get it serviced tomorrow or just wait until the DIS goes BING!

Hi. If it's done 70k and is five years old then it's well due a timing belt kit and water pump kit. Have you considered going to a good independent with it?

I don't think 1inch is querying the need for a time belt change, its the actual service he is unsure about.

Your car is on variable servicing so according to its sensors you don't need an oil change yet. I wouldn't feel comfortable going 19k on the same oil though, and judging by the 16k miles you've done in 13 months it'll only be another couple of months until you've covered the 3200 miles your car is counting down till it tells you to get it serviced.

Basically, at the latest you're going to be getting it done in a couple of months anyway so i'd kill two birds with one stone and get it done with you timing belt now to save the bother or having to take it back in just after xmas.

Yeah, I knew the timing belt needs doing even if the book does say 80k miles. Think the longest I've ever drove a car without having this done was 75k.

The car is booked into an independent tomorrow for timing belt, water pump and service. I just wanted to clear up the complexity of Audi servicing and how reliable the DIS service info is for my own piece of mind and future reference more than anything else. I'd rather service my car early than late so question answered. Cheers.

I have always ignored the Longlife service schedule after being advised by decent independants to get onto a 12 month/ 10000 mile fixed service asap to avoid issues later on in the cars life.

One of the reasons I bought my car was the fact it had been on a fixed schedule most of its life already, whereas most havent.

If you were doing 5k miles a year I'd say to save yourself some cash now and leave it, but if you're doing over 1200 miles a month anyway, you're not really saving yourself anything and may as well get both changed now.

I've never heard of a car being damaged by being serviced early.