Audi S6 C5 Avant 2002 Xenon Headlight Problem

jclc84

Reaction score
Hi, I have Audi S6 Avant with auto range xenon headlights.
The auto range fault warning has come on on the dash computer.
The headlights are in the lowest position and I cannot see anything at night time, maybe a meter in front of the car.
I have had this checked with my garage and the suspension sensor are all ok, I have had these changed with Audi ones over the last year. However it has come up with a fault on the headlight, also the adjuster on the headlight have rusted off, therefore they cannot be adjusted. And it looks like I will have to have both headlights replaced and Audi have quoted £1600 without fitting.
I bought a pair of second hands Audi a6 xenon with auto range off eBay, only to find my garage couldn't fit them because the rear part of the headlight was too big, the radiator was in the way.
After many phone calls to Audi, they finally found out that the Headlights on the S6 were special one off for this car and I would have to find another S6 2002 headlights or buy brand new ones from Audi.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and does anyone knows any information about this problem.
Any help would be great.
thank you very much for reading this
James

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=259049&page=42 Post #418 Might help.

The adjustment motors need to work. If they cycle then you just need to put the vehicle on a flat road and use VCDS to reset.
The front and rear sensors need to be in the correct range before VCDS will reset hence flat.
The manual adjusters do not affect the warning MIL unless they have been wound right in (or out)
The adjustment motors can be lifted off other models.
Regrettably the front has to come off the S6 if you want the lights removed unlike our base models.

HI, Thank you for the information. Not wanting to sound overly stupid but what is VCDS? Does this mean they are adjusted by a computer and not the headlights, like you would need for a MOT etc.
Again Thank you
James

Ross Tech VCDS is a software/hardware set that work with all VAG Group cars.
Its similar to the dealer set up and used by most independents and home repairers.
http://www.ross-tech.com/

Yes your headlamps are computer adjusted...the screw adjusters are for fine tuning...
the link shows the screens from VCDS

You can get a VCDS cable from Ebay and download the free issue software from the site above.
Costs less than £10 (cable) and $99 to register the freeware if you need to access more features
Or you can get a Chinese cracked set for around £50 (VCDS HEX 12.0) these are only a risk if it goes wrong and fries your ECU.
Full set £275 in the UK
Unlike cheap code readers VCDS can access all the controllers, sensors and modules and allows adaptions to be made.

Thank you for all your help on my headlight problem, Im going to look into the VCDS reader. Ive had this problem for about two months and no one has been able to shed any light on the situation apart from you. Audi charged me £100 to find the fault but they just said the voltage in these headlight is right but the adjuster have rusted and I will need to buy two brand new headlights. From what you are saying it could be a easy & cheap fix.
I do have a few other issues with my car and I might post it on here.
Again thank you.

You seem to have 2 options for the headlamp motor if that is the issue.
4E0941293
4B3941295 (Most likely)
They are a push in item. Some on ebay.
If your near Hampshire have a VCDS set.
Turn them on and see if they move around on power up. If so motors are probably good.

Hi there. thank you for the offer but I live in north nottinghamshire.
Im hoping to find a garage that has vcds but at the moment if seems that no one near me does.

Autotechz & C&R Enterprises...... never used them myself but they appear on the other forums..
If you fancy a drive call Ed at APS Brackley they look after my TT and A6 and have 9 years of best indy awards...

HI there. My garage have spoken to TPS and have ordered some parts for the headlights. The garage I use have a VAG COM guy who only does computer stuff. So hopefully in the next few weeks I will have this problem sorted.
These headlights are a nightmare.
I will let you know what happens.
thanks