Audi S4 Cab B6 Bonnet Stuck

karltea

Reaction score
Had my car in as it had bad oil intercooler seals and needed an MOT ...
Garage has done both but when i asked about taking out the lights to de fog them, pulled the bonnet release and no joy :(
As i was pulling the lever he said he could hear something radiator side so thinks the cable has jumped out of its holder ...
we looked from the front and from underneath as it was still engine pan free and on pit and could not see anyway into the bonnet latch area.
Is there anyway to get this bonnet lose without smashing up the grill ?
any ideas welcome
thanks
karl

Need to get under the car, take off the tray, find the release thing (probably after hours of searching blindly) and pull.

Quite a game, YouTube video's will explain it better.

I did it on a MkIII golf once, i ended up useing two cable ties, one as an extender and one looped so it could latch onto the bonnet pull.

My suggestion would be to find aother B6 owner nearby who can open his bonnet, you can trace the cable and find a suitable place to pull it open, luckily my mum and I both had golf's so that's what I could do!

Only think I can think of is to break your front grill and then see if you can open then bonnet that way

Try this method, it at least gives you an idea what you need to do, it's on a B7 but obviously it's going to be very similar if not identical.

Last edited:
Video makes it look so easy but getting that bar into where it's ment to in will be impossible to do with the bonnet shut

Reactions: DieselJake
Damn skippy impossible to get. I found reaching between the fender and tub the best dpot to yank the cable enuff to unlatch the hood/bonnett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I managed to pull the grille out of mine without damaging it on my S4 and then undoing the 10mm nuts for the catch on the bonnet and the cable had just popped out on mine. Easiest way to do it. Getting the bonnet lock to unlatch without a cable sitting in it is a ******* otherwise. Best to try and push the tabs on the grille with a right-angled pick. Once the grilles out it's not too bad.

Had the same on mine and done the above. Carefully remove the grill that's only clipped in, then remove the bolts holding catch to bonnet. Takes an age but not too bad. Turned out the cable had become unclipped from the catch (stupid design), probably when headlights were put back in and had pushed the bonnet cable backwards and out or its clip. Unfortunately before realising this I was too heavy handed on the bonnet release handle and snapped that in half too! Lesson learned the hard way

Yeah my cable had popped out too.. indeed a stupid design. Wee blob of steel epoxy resin over the end of the cable to make sure it doesn't pop out again .

funny enough i had the same problem on my car just the other day....i had to jack the car up(place on axle stands) and with a torch shining up in front of the pulys and belts youll see a goldy /silverish mechanism this is the latch that the cable pulls...i could get my arm up there with a hefty long flat head screwdriver and lever it in the middle of the mechanism to the passenger side(so the bottom of the screwdriver heads towards the drivers side)...it takes a bit of giggling but it will go....also i think it might help if someone gives a little push on the bonnet as you lever.....youll hear it go when it goes...hope i explained that well enough as im not that good at explaining....richard