Audi S4 Avant slight knocking at the rear? Any ideas?

cfoster

Reaction score
Hi all, got a 2003 S4 Avant (B6) and recently started getting a slight knocking noise from the rear passenger side wheel area, only seems to be if I go up a bump slightly at an angle (ie - pull up onto my drive, front passenger wheel first, then drivers front wheel, then it knocks as the rear passenger goes up). Seems to only happen in similar situations and sometimes very rarely at low speeds over rough / uneven roads. Only the once though, if I reverse slowly off, then try it again it wont do it!! Only if I drive down the road and back to the drive!

What the first thing to start checking? Are bushes prone to going on these or top mounts etc? It does have an RS4 anti-roll bar on there that was fitted before me buying it.

Cheers
Chris

Id be looking at the anti roll bar bushes! i have a similar driveway by sounds of it! causes the odd clunk ect but only every now and then! possible drop link???

yeah sounds similar, doesnt sound too bad but something id rather sort before the winter comes!! I'll take a look under there tonight!

Well just got around to jacking it up to take a look, to my amazement where the passenger side rear anti rollbar bolts to the top of the droplink, there is no bolt there!!!! It lines up but obviously when going over bumps etc it knocks the lower wishbone. It did have an RS4 anti-roll bar fitted a few months before I bought it but **** me, the bolt isnt anywhere to be seen!!

Does anyone know what size / type bolt should be in there before I started buggering around taking the other side off to see?

Go and buy a new bolt and nut from dealer as they are 1 time use only !

yeah ordered one today, only 48 pence!!!! Just hope it hasnt stuffed the thread on the top of the droplink.

Well fitted bolt last night and all is good!! no more knocking :). Easy 48pence fix!!!!