Audi S3 - Stroker Big Turbo build.

Damn that sounds alot hotter than I thought!

Inside and outside working in a facility on the airport hopefully they have ac! :(

So I have been suffering with a power steering oil leak. Steering rack decided its had enough, fluid was pouring out the right side when I turned to the right.
I wasnt looking forward to changing the steering rack, but with the right tools and a car lift, it was rather easy.
I replaced rack with a used one from a scrap TT and replaced ball joints while the subframe was off.

Took some time to clean all the dirt, grease and oil of the subframe.

Then I finally got round to fitted the R32 brakes, with braided autotech lines.
Not the ultimate setup but will do for now.

Then got to "test drive" a nice RS5, its damn nice but feels way to slow for my liking. APR supercharger kit would do justice to the RS5 :rock:

V10 TFSI RS6, MTM tuned still has my number 1 vote :racer:

Reactions: StaceyS3, JOSE8LT and g60leigh
Little bit of an upgrade.
Car is off the road for the moment, T3 manifold is off and going to another owner.

With the help of Wayne, I have the first runner tacked onto the V-Band setup. Turbo fitted to check measurements of TIP.

Reactions: StaceyS3, MIGGZ, g60leigh and 1 other person
Moving it over so the collector is more between cyls 3 and 4 will give you more room for the downpipe

Nice collector... I looked at those before getting one from Nortech... you using 1.5" NB fittings? make sure the wastegate one is 2" if so... I have a little creep from mine using 1.5" NB

<tuffty/>

Moving it over so the collector is more between cyls 3 and 4 will give you more room for the downpipe

Nice collector... I looked at those before getting one from Nortech... you using 1.5" NB fittings? make sure the wastegate one is 2" if so... I have a little creep from mine using 1.5" NB

<tuffty/>

Mine is a LHD, so I have the brake booster on the TIP side. The turbo has to sit in the center for the 4" silicone elbow to clear the brake booster but this also means I have more space on the DP side.

Yeah, I went for the Treadstone collector as it has the correct size vband for the PTE vband housing, has a locating lip and most important, its a cast SS unit. It needs a little tickle with the porting tools to clean up the inside.

Thanks for the tip on the WG pipe. Not sure where the new v-band 46mm WG is going to sit. More than likely in the same area as T3 setup.

you making sure the transfer box will clear the runners as they swoop low

Lets hope so :)

Busy with 4th runner now then will check clearance on the car.

Im feeling lucky today :)

Reactions: StaceyS3 and g60leigh
Good news, the manifold clears the transfer box with about 1" of clearance :w00t:

Reactions: StaceyS3, limbo118118 and JOSE8LT
Manifold is welded up, still waiting for the precision 46mm wastegate to arrived so I can sort the wastegate angle out...

They say a big turbo needs a big DP😁 , EGT bung is due for delivery tomorrow, thanks for the fast shipping Bill 👍. One is going in the collector and one in the DP. DP will be OEM EGT sensor and collector will be a aftermarket k-type unit, just for interests sakes.

Oil return line should be sorted tomorrow, then can start sorting out the DP to meet the exhaust and fit the catcams. Hopefully by then the WG will have arrived.

Last edited:
Reactions: superkarl, StaceyS3, craigt1985 and 1 other person
so today proved to be a challenge,

Installed the cat cams while I wait for the WG to arrive. Removed the stock cams and noticed the same sort of issue Tuffty had with his exhaust lifters. Weird looking markings on the face of the lifters. These were the brand new ones that came with the AEB head.

So they have been replaced with the used ones from my AMK head.

and then...... I decided to check the inlet lifters. I took them all out and found 2 of them had come apart. So I swapped those out for some used one as well. I have no idea how they are coming apart in the engine. It almost like there is too much oil pressure in them and they are popping apart.I cant see how that would happen as there is always pressure on them, between the camshaft and the valve/spring...

and then.......

one of the cam cap bolts snapped, it was the last bolt I was making hand tight and it decided to retire. I dont have a easy out screw remover set, so had to make a plan with various tools around the workshop, these are the kind of tools I like to call "multi tools" as they have other functions with a bit of imagination.

One thing I have noticed, my AEB head has grey coloured cam cap bolts and so does the AGU head. Now my AMK head has black coloured cam cap bolts and so does the BAM and APX heads I have seen. I wonder if they upgraded and don't break so easily.

I have sent the manifold to get the exhaust flange machined, as it has warped about 1mm from welding.

I had a similar experience with my exhaust followers mate...

20140711_113544.jpg

20140711_113604.jpg

20140711_113613.jpg

<tuffty/>

happy pop out yo mama day dude!!!!!! hope you have many many many more boosted miles

:yahoo::rock::thrashi::beerchug::jester:

Reactions: Scullies
Wastegate finally arrived, 4 days late!!! So thats delayed getting BB back on the road.

At least I got a birthday present ...........

Its all fitted now and started the car, all its ok....for now.
Still need to make the flexi section from the DP to the exhaust system.

Reactions: Sam_ and StaceyS3
ahh ok fair enough, just thought it was worth mentioning :icon_thumright:

Got my aluminiun vbands in, hope to get the charge pipe welded up in the next few days.

so the vband welding was a success. I removed the rubber gasket and clamped the 2 halves of the vband together. Busted out the sanding disc and took the lip and a bit of meat off the compressor outlet. I wanted to slide the vband over the comp outlet .
Then went and got the vband welded.

Still have a bit more to do. The 2 silicone couplers will be remove and the charge pipe welded, the DV still needs to find a permanent
The welds will be smoothed out and painted black.
The BOV is just temporary, its there so I can drive the car while I sorted out the vband setup.

Reactions: Sam_ and superkarl
happiness comes in a can these days :arco:

Charge pipe getting there, slowly... :(

Yeah, no issues with the boost dump. Its a nice quiet phssssh noise, no squirrels or birds under my bonnet :)

Reactions: JOSE8LT
Nice project dude.. Just been reading the entire thread.. If that was my car with all those problems i would sell it.. I also got a strokerkit on my car.. Only problems yet is that my exhaust manifol cracked... Im not sure i if you had the car on the dyno? My stroker engine deliveres 608.9 hp and 666.8 nm... ON MY FWD LOL! Engine is out and im looking for a Yellow S3 like yours to get the quattro so the wheelspin stops on the freeway :D

Reactions: S3Alex
Not too much happening this side of the world. Summer is still lingering on :(
Did go for a club drive over the weekend and had a play with a mates Ferrari 430.
He mostly pulled away from me when I had to change gears. So tried a 4th gear pull from 5000rpm and the 430 couldn't pass me, WMI FTMFW !! Then I changed to 5th and he passed :(
Maybe with some man boost I could have him, only running approx 26psi atm

A picture that one the the guys took on the drive.

I have also been playing around with the ME7 Logger software, finally got it working over obd port.
I had to reduce the init from 11 to 00, and I have to turn the key on, start the logger then start the car.
The software is crazy fast. I logged 57 measuring blocks at a sample rate of 11/s. I logged data for approx 6 minutes and logged about 4000 lines of data :uhm::arco:

Downside is you cant see the actual data figures while you log as the software runs in a CMD window. Technically you can see the data of you wish but trying to read it at a sample rate of 11/s is a bit challenging ;)

Hopefully soon things will cool down and I can enjoy more man boost.

Reactions: superkarl, Alex C, S3Alex and 1 other person
Whoooo,
Was fun in the 430 dude. Was well surprised with the S3.

Must take them both out again when the weather cools down some more. Bring man boost and we try Race Mode whoooo.

Get some video also.

:)

Hopefully I will get my cams in this weekend for a little more hp and some NLS and methanol and race fuel and nitrous

Is your TT done yet :)

Reactions: g60leigh
Whoooo,

Nope TT not done yet.

Maybe by 2030. ;-)

:miserable: the road to BT is a steep slippery one :apologetic:

New pistons, block and crank, at least I can finally cure my irritating misfire now :joyous: