1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUDI s3 starting problems.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Pikerzoli, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Pikerzoli

Pikerzoli New Member

[Nov 25, 2013]
    Hello, i have a 2001 s3 audi, Last wkd i noticed the battery was semi flat and it didnt start my s3, i jumped the car with someone elses and it drove 50 miles without fault however as soon as i turned car off and tried to restart it, the battery was nearly flat. I got the audi jumped again and drove home. Next day i got a new battery and car started fine. Yesterday i drove car again and as soon as i turned off car and tried to restart it, nothing this time!. The engine doesnt turn over, doesnt click either on turnover, all the electrics work though. I tried to bump start it but theres no clicking sound from starting motor so it didnt start. I am used to working on cars but not a audi s3 lol. Anyone got any ideas as to where i should start looking for a fault?. I did notice a burning smell under the bonnet so im expecting a big bill but id like to try afew basics just in case its nothing massive. Help please!.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. G60DAN

G60DAN Member

[Nov 25, 2013]
    Sounds like the starter motor to me have you tried putting jumpers to the starter to see if it works?
  4. GlennP83

GlennP83 Member

[Nov 25, 2013]
    Sounds like the alternator
  5. Pikerzoli

Pikerzoli New Member

[Nov 25, 2013]
    Ok. I've have been working on car all day and i think i can see the problem!. Theres a earth wire on the starting motor, mines snapped in half!!!. The car wouldnt jump lead start nor bump though so ill have to replace the starting motor. Is there a guide to remove one?. I had a look and theres alot of pipes and wires ive not seen before underneath lol.
  6. Pikerzoli

Pikerzoli New Member

7. newbster

newbster Active Member

[Nov 25, 2013]
    hi

thats not the earth lead, its the main 12v from the soleniod to the actaul electric motor in the starter

either way, you need a new starter.

simple job really, this a guide to changing the clutch, but the starter removal is in here

diy how to-changing the clutch - uk-mkivs