audi s3 start stop feature

This is my first car with S/S and after a few days of use it is mostly fine and works well. As pointed out before, you quickly learn to control it with the break peddle. However, I do have a couple of issues
The first is that my driveway is on a downhill slope, with a tight manoeuvre at the end. S/S makes it a pita if I forget to turn it off
The second is more of a worry. I was pulling in to a car park where you collect the ticket at the barrier on the way in. The machine is a little too far back from the kerb, so to protect the wheels, I always put in the hand break, take off the seatbelt and reach/hang out the window to get the ticket. S/S kicked in, but when I went to pull off it would not restart. After deciphering the usual helpful message in the dash, I had to out it in park, and turn the key off then on. Have since tested it again, and the same. I really don't like that

I've genuinely never had a problem with start stop and can't understand why people want to disable it so badly. I actually think it's pretty intuitive how it will hold the car with the engine running if you brake to a stop and hold the pedal lightly but will then turn the engine off if you press the brake pedal down harder once stopped...

I've genuinely never had a problem with start stop and can't understand why people want to disable it so badly.
Personally, I want to disable it because I want to 'drive' the car. I don't want the car deciding when it's going to turn the engine on or off. I don't want it deciding when it's going to change gear, nor do I want it deciding how it will adapt cruise control relative to the car in front etc etc etc. It's all about being able to drive a car, not de-skilling driving yet further. Just IMHO of course :)

Reactions: gtiller
Personally, I want to disable it because I want to 'drive' the car. I don't want the car deciding when it's going to turn the engine on or off. I don't want it deciding when it's going to change gear, nor do I want it deciding how it will adapt cruise control relative to the car in front etc etc etc. It's all about being able to drive a car, not de-skilling driving yet further. Just IMHO of course :)

I find that this adds an extra part onto driving the car. I've a 184stronic and I don't have any problems with the stop-start. Pull up to some lights and light pressure on the brake pedal keeps the engine running but the car stopped, if I then want to stop the engine I will apply more pressure. If I want it to restart, just release the pressure and it will start again without you releasing completely and the car moving.

If anything, it takes more skill to drive it with the stop/start ;)

I completely agree with you about ACC and stronic, however those are choices you don't have to have. Funny how you don't mention ESP or ABS etc; Personally I find ESP is far more annoying than s/s.

ESP is a safety feature whereas s/s isn't. I think most people are happy with ESP than s/s

@Simonbt - as far as ESP is concerned, I can't comment re the S3 yet, but certainly in the snow of recent years, it was the first thing that was turned off in the two previous Cupras. In eg snowy conditions, I want to feel what the car itself is doing in whatever the conditions are, and to know that whatever inputs I apply, that's what will be transmitted to the brakes, steering, powertrain etc and not what the ECU thinks it will apply! Under normal driving conditions I'm not unhappy that it's there, but anticipate that it won't be called upon... :)

As for ABS, yes, a beneficial safety feature for the majority of drivers, but it only allows you to maintain steering under harsh or emergency braking where tyre grip would be lost without it - and it can in fact increase breaking distance of course. Unfortunately most drivers don't have the presence of mind to release the pedal when faced with such circumstances.

On my 184 diesel I always left the S/S on but with the S3 I tend to switch it off as it has a large turbo and sudden stops when hot are not ideal.

On my 184 diesel I always left the S/S on but with the S3 I tend to switch it off as it has a large turbo and sudden stops when hot are not ideal.
Have to admit that I hadn't actually considered this aspect, but you're absolutely right..... :)

I think Audi will have thought about that one.

It's not the 90s, you don't drive an Impreza WRX STI and turbo timers no longer exist.

Coolant still goes though the turbo with the engine stopped so no problem with heat

Don't even get me started with the introduction of electric windows. We've lost the feel, driver involvement and skill needed to wind up a window and keep the car going in a straight line, especially if the winder was stiff. Now you just press a button and the whole experience is detached. No connection whatsoever with what's going on, and then, they introduced one touch up/down. Jaysus, what were they thinking? Personally I want the window to be under my complete control at all times, no going up or down without me being in control.

And starter motors. Before starting a car have you a real connection with the vehicle, required real skill and understanding about the compression, 4 stroke cycles, valves. These days just turn a key or press a button and voila, your car is started. Even a 5 stone weakling can now start a modern car. These skills are truly lost with every innovation and improvement in technology.

The same with new fangled fuel injection. In the good old days, I could achieve the perfect cold start. A choke lever or knob, I knew exactly when and how much choke to apply, I had brains and ears, and could determine temperatures, how the engine ran and when and how much to push the choke back in. All under my control. It's the way I want it, I determine when and how to drive, I don't want some electronic fuel injection system deciding for me what fuel mixture I should be running, and when to richen or weaken mixture. OMG and when they took away manual ignition advance/****** I was furious. Yet more things the car was deciding for me.

It's all about being able to drive a car, not de-skilling driving yet further.
All IMHO of course ;)

Reactions: Ceho, h5djr, steverobertsbbc and 7 others
You forgot about having to set the timing with a rod inserted into the spark plug hole and a fag paper in the points. Oddly enough I still remember doing that to my Norton :D

Reactions: veeeight
Coolant still goes though the turbo with the engine stopped so no problem with heat

Once again a personal thing, but coolant doesn't flow much when the engine stops as the water pump stops too, but the old turbo spins at a high rate of knots (up to150,000 or so rpm) and relies on oil pressure for the bearings, after a quick run the turbo can still be spinning if you come to a quick complete stop that leaves it with no lubrication.
So I always prefer to leave it at idle for a few seconds before turning the engine off. If I'm in slow traffic I don't switch the SS off.

Don't even get me started with the introduction of electric windows. We've lost the feel, driver involvement and skill needed to wind up a window and keep the car going in a straight line, especially if the winder was stiff. Now you just press a button and the whole experience is detached. No connection whatsoever with what's going on, and then, they introduced one touch up/down. Jaysus, what were they thinking? Personally I want the window to be under my complete control at all times, no going up or down without me being in control.

And starter motors. Before starting a car have you a real connection with the vehicle, required real skill and understanding about the compression, 4 stroke cycles, valves. These days just turn a key or press a button and voila, your car is started. Even a 5 stone weakling can now start a modern car. These skills are truly lost with every innovation and improvement in technology.

The same with new fangled fuel injection. In the good old days, I could achieve the perfect cold start. A choke lever or knob, I knew exactly when and how much choke to apply, I had brains and ears, and could determine temperatures, how the engine ran and when and how much to push the choke back in. All under my control. It's the way I want it, I determine when and how to drive, I don't want some electronic fuel injection system deciding for me what fuel mixture I should be running, and when to richen or weaken mixture. OMG and when they took away manual ignition advance/****** I was furious. Yet more things the car was deciding for me.

All IMHO of course ;)

Haha! And don't get me started on power steering... right?

Once again a personal thing, but coolant doesn't flow much when the engine stops as the water pump stops too, but the old turbo spins at a high rate of knots (up to150,000 or so rpm) and relies on oil pressure for the bearings, after a quick run the turbo can still be spinning if you come to a quick complete stop that leaves it with no lubrication.
So I always prefer to leave it at idle for a few seconds before turning the engine off. If I'm in slow traffic I don't switch the SS off.

Why don't you trust the Audi engineers to know how to look after their own components? I think they might know better than you when it's safe to turn the engine off and when to start it again. Stop double guessing them!

All IMHO of course ;)

Nicely written - and made me smile, thankyou :)
We'll have to agree to differ though ;)

The engine has a electric water pump that is designed to keep pumping coolant even after the engine is switched off. Thus you can be safe in the knowledge your turbo bearings will be kept cool even when the engine is switched off. I am also sure that the bearings will remain lubricated as well. Of course though it is your prerogative to override the stop/start if you wish, that's why the button is there, but I am sure that all manufacturers with similar engines have tested their start/stop systems out to destruction, unless you know more of course....

I don't know more and trust what Audi produce. But Audi also provide the ability to switch the SS off, so some times I'll use it others I wont.
I certainly didn't know the water pump was electric.

I'm a bit with Steve on this.

I posted in post #23:

"......... there is an electrical coolant pump in circuit when the engine is switched off. Also, part of the oil system is also governed by an electric oil pump, though this is more in the piston cooling oil spray nozzles. HOWEVER - with my personal car - after a high speed run, or a very energetic drive, I do a "cool down" drive of about 3 to 4 mins just to calm everything down, then switch off S/S especially if I'm idling immediately after the run, just to let the engine tick over for a minute or so."

BUT

Although it does circulate coolant after you've switched off, you are still going to get a tremendous amount of heat soak building up rapidly from a stinking hot, non-moving engine.

So - although whilst not strictly necessary to do a few miles of "cool-down" (this is the best way rather than stationary with the engine ticking over) - it is good practice to do so, as this will be kinder in terms of thermal management in reducing the heat soak from a hot engine. Doing a cool down run also helps with reducing the engine bay temps and temps in other components, e.g.; brakes etc.

If I've been doing a sustained "high speed" blast on the motorway - then pull into the services and stop - the last thing I want it to do is to cut out the engine when its stinking hot - so in this instance, I will disable S/S. :)

Overall, if you've been driving hard, it is still good practice to do a few minutes of "cool down" for the sake of all the components (both inside and outside the engine bay).

It's entirely up to you what you do with your car, however these engines are tested to destruction and on another forum I frequent there is a manufacturers engineer who is paid to test these engines and he hasn't reported any issues with start/stop. Plus all manuafcturers test their vehicles over hundreds of thousands of miles over many different and extreme testing conditions...