Audi S3 speedo removed and refitted now will not start HELP PLEASE

jacks3

Reaction score
I have a Audi S3 02 plate 2003 modelI had to remover the speedo due to when the car was turned off and the key removed and the car all locked up the dials stayed illuminated until it drained the battery so sent the clocks off to have a repair done they company could only tell me what I already knew that the dials stayed illuminated :( they did not seam to help any more. now after putting the speedo back in the car dose not start is there a reson for this or is there a simple procedure to get them working again?has anyone else suffered with this problem?hope you can help as i am unable to drive my pride and joy :(Thanks from JackS3

Oh dear, that doesnt sound good at all mate, Im guessing they have either replaced the clocks without telling you or somehow managed to wipe the coding from them.

It sounds like your immobiliser is kicking in and not letting you start the car. I assume that the clocks all light up when you turn the ignition on and that it will turn over ? If its turning over and not starting are you getting the little picture of the car with a key in it flashing ?

If its flashing and car isnt starting your going to have issues unless you have Vagtacho & VCDS as you will need these 2 programs to properly sort it all out and recode your cluster to accept your key and thus disable the immobiliser.

You will need to run Vagtacho and pull the pin code from the cluster. Once you have that you can swap cables and connect up VCDS which will then let you recode the cluster to your Key(s) after logging in with the pin code you retrieved using vagtacho.

You can recode the cluster to the keys with vagtacho as well but I find it easier in VCDS and more reliable too. Believe it or not I am actually doing this very task for someone off here tomorrow !

Reactions: shilaroscy
just out of interest who did you send them too? i have used clusteruk and they dont seem interested at all after you have paid for your repair!
but it does seem like your cluster has lost its coding somehow

I am not sure about the little picture of the car with a key in it flashing i will have to check tonight i do not have access to Vagtacho & VCDS where can i get access to these?

Thanks for your help so far, if i buy new speedo how can i reprogramme that to work if that possiable?

Many Thanks

JackS3

Don't you need more info than just the pin number to code the key with vcds?

I would also check that all the plugs on the back of the cluster have a good connection if you haven't already, I had my cluster out a while ago to have my dis replaced and seem to remember one of the plugs being a little awkward to refit

Don't you need more info than just the pin number to code the key with vcds?

Depends on the model year of the car mate, Anything after 2002 is a bit of a ballache as they switched to Immo3 and those keys cannot be "reprogrammed" you need to fit new transponder chips into them and then code them to the cluster, but again you need to have the SKC code or "pin" which you cannot pull from the 2003 cluster using vagtacho unless you have a key thats already matched to the cluster.

Its a catch 22 really. I know this is factual as I tried to do exactly this for someone off here at the weekend. I have coded keys to my 2001 S3, my 2000 A4 Avant and my fiancee's 2000 Beetle using vagtacho to pull the pin codes and VCDS to program the keys. But when you try and do this with the 2003 S3 it locks you out.

What made matters worse is that the chap's exisiting clocks have been spiked so there completely fried and wont let you pull anything from them even though he has the matched key. We need to get his exisitng pin code to allow us to swap the cluster but additionally we ned the pin code for the replacement cluster which you cannot get without a matched key so theres not much I can do to help him and it looks like his only option may be to visit Audi and have brand new clocks fitted with keys to match.

hi guys i change my clocks for a new set and they work i think well the car started and it was fine till the next day when they stopped working again if i remove the fuse at the back and connect it again the car starts but then after a while the immobilizer kicks in once again and the cart doesn't start

please help

george

Coding is the biggest bit but it's easy with correct tools.
Clocks are held in with 2 screws or bolts under the trim at the bottom of the clocks

What sideways steve says about coding a 2003 cluster is not really applicable. They can be done with no keys at the start and pin codes are useless.

cheers m8,my issue is the abs light its sounds extreme but I need to cover it for a mot pass in the next few days unfortunately its unclearable and I know all my brakes are spot after I diognostics check,while you mention the coding my key fob wont lock the doars iv changed the batterys etc,is this simple to fix in the right hands I don't have a spare to translate the 2 keys cheers

I cant help you cover the light up, but it isnt there for no reason, Have you scanned the car with vcds? It tends to pick up more codes than generic readers

ye mate I don't wont to mess with clocks etc,not sure what the guy used it was a snap on diognotics so assuming top notch,after getting his result of ground 46 or 49 on the tester he said check either end on both wires to the abs pump and sensor and they looked fine i decided to remove the sensor and noticed were it connects the clip point was upside down not being on the top like the rear right being on the top and the little 3 magnet strips were facing up so whoevers put it in as put a drivers side rear in on the left rear buy the looks of things,i assume these magnet strips on the sensors need to be facing the hub although I have not yet got the replacement sensor I am hoping this will be problem solved,i have changed the front abs sensors prior to the diognostics test and just need to do the drivers rear now but the star keys rounded so will have to wait,main thing is get this dam abs light out